2006-09-20 09:27:03

by SZABO Tamas

Subject: [Bluez-users] Changing BD address on CSR based USB dongle

Hi,

First of all, I have a few USB-BT dongle (no brand info, CSR
chipset, HCI and LMP ver. 2.0, EEPROM on the board). They
all have the same BD address (Yes, it seems I bought pirated
dongles).

As far as I know the BD has same function like ether MAC. So
if I want to use these devices together it can cause problems...

I would like to know, is there any way to change the BD
address (preferable) permanently or temporary (like ifconfig
ethX hw ether AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF for ethernet)?

Thx,

/sza2

25% kedvezm=E9ny 3 k=F6nyv v=E1s=E1rl=E1sa eset=E9n! Bookline.hu
http://www.bookline.hu/control/news?newsid=3D484&affiliate=3Dfre25skar3067

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Steven,

> > with "bccmd psread" or "bccmd pslist" you can do that. However you need
> > to pick the correct stores value to get all info.
>
> Aha, I thought it existed.
>
> I'd like dumps of the psram, psi and psf stores.

I don't know if you got the output that you asked for. However here are
the needed commands (all as root):

bccmd psread --stores psram
bccmd psread --stores psi
bccmd psread --stores psf

Regards

Marcel

by Steven Singer

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> with "bccmd psread" or "bccmd pslist" you can do that. However you need
> to pick the correct stores value to get all info.

Aha, I thought it existed.

I'd like dumps of the psram, psi and psf stores.

- Steven
--

To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser: http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Steven,

SZABO Tamas wrote:
> First of all, I have a few USB-BT dongle (no brand info, CSR
> chipset, HCI and LMP ver. 2.0, EEPROM on the board). They
> all have the same BD address (Yes, it seems I bought pirated
> dongles).

Hmm, I'm guessing you can't tell me who manufactured the dongles?

Can you tell me the firmware revision and which Bluetooth address they're
booting up with (hciconfig version and hciconfig revision should give you
all that information)?

Are there any BlueZ tools that can dump all the values written to
persistent store for a module (equivalent to CSR's btcli's psslurp
command)? If so, a dump of the PS might be useful for me.

You say they have EEPROM on board. If they were ROM parts without
non-volatile storage then their behaviour would be reasonable. They'd
be expecting the host to configure them. I believe there are suitable
tools in BlueZ.

If they're ROM parts with EEPROM but it's not configured, that looks
like a manufacturing error. You'll need to assign them unique
addresses (getting hold of such addresses can be tricky).

The real question is whether any of the other settings have been
programmed correctly.

Thanks.

- Steven
--

To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser: http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jinesh,

> > And in general such dongles should not be put on the market. I have seen
> > this with ISSC dongles before. The BD_ADDR suppose to be unique.
> >

> Yes ! The dongle that I've recently bought is ISSC. Its windows
> utility doesn't come(AFAIK) with any option to change the BD address.
> But my vendor does provide guarantee for it. ie, even if it gets
> damaged, they will give a replacement. So, may be i should try it and
> see.
>
> So, since my windows utility doesn't provide any option to change its
> BD, does it mean that the dongle is illegal? Should i report this to
> some authority?

if you start up Windows with the software for this dongle, plug it in
and make it discoverable. Then search with another device from another
machine and if you still see 11:11:11:11:11:11 as address, then you
should return the dongle.

There are ROM based dongles/chips where the host software has to set the
BD_ADDR. This is totally legal. However you mostly see this for chips
used in embedded devices and not USB dongles for desktop systems.

If you know the manufacturer of this dongle, then you might contact them
and/or public relations of the Bluetooth SIG.

Regards

Marcel

by Jinesh K J

> And in general such dongles should not be put on the market. I have seen
> this with ISSC dongles before. The BD_ADDR suppose to be unique.

Yes ! The dongle that I've recently bought is ISSC. Its windows
utility doesn't come(AFAIK) with any option to change the BD address.
But my vendor does provide guarantee for it. ie, even if it gets
damaged, they will give a replacement. So, may be i should try it and
see.

So, since my windows utility doesn't provide any option to change its
BD, does it mean that the dongle is illegal? Should i report this to
some authority?

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jinesh,

> > First of all, I have a few USB-BT dongle (no brand info, CSR
> > chipset, HCI and LMP ver. 2.0, EEPROM on the board). They
> > all have the same BD address (Yes, it seems I bought pirated
> > dongles).
> >
> > As far as I know the BD has same function like ether MAC. So
> > if I want to use these devices together it can cause problems...
> >
> > I would like to know, is there any way to change the BD
> > address (preferable) permanently or temporary (like ifconfig
> > ethX hw ether AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF for ethernet)?
> >

> I'm also having almost the same situation. I bought a USB dongle and
> its BD address seem to be 11:11:11:11:11:11 which don't seem to be
> unique. I would like to know whether my dongle is illegal(if that's
> the case then i need to get my money back). If the dongle is ok, then
> how i would like to know how to change its BD address.

in general such a dongle is illegal. If the Windows software that comes
with your dongle is capable of changing this address and make it unique
and persistent again, then it is not illegal. However this is an unclear
area and it might help to report such dongles to the Bluetooth SIG.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> First of all, I have a few USB-BT dongle (no brand info, CSR
> chipset, HCI and LMP ver. 2.0, EEPROM on the board). They
> all have the same BD address (Yes, it seems I bought pirated
> dongles).
>
> As far as I know the BD has same function like ether MAC. So
> if I want to use these devices together it can cause problems...
>
> I would like to know, is there any way to change the BD
> address (preferable) permanently or temporary (like ifconfig
> ethX hw ether AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF for ethernet)?

you can use the bdaddr utility from bluez-utils, but you need to compile
it by yourself and use it at your own risk. It can render your dongle
useless.

On 9/20/06, SZABO Tamas <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, I have a few USB-BT dongle (no brand info, CSR
> chipset, HCI and LMP ver. 2.0, EEPROM on the board). They
> all have the same BD address (Yes, it seems I bought pirated
> dongles).
>
> As far as I know the BD has same function like ether MAC. So
> if I want to use these devices together it can cause problems...
>
> I would like to know, is there any way to change the BD
> address (preferable) permanently or temporary (like ifconfig
> ethX hw ether AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF for ethernet)?

I'm also having almost the same situation. I bought a USB dongle and
its BD address seem to be 11:11:11:11:11:11 which don't seem to be
unique. I would like to know whether my dongle is illegal(if that's
the case then i need to get my money back). If the dongle is ok, then
how i would like to know how to change its BD address.

thanks,
jinesh.