2006-11-20 10:02:44

by scostas

Subject: [Bluez-users] emulating a GPRS modem with a linux PC

Hi all:

I have a PDA and I need to connect to the internet with it, but at work.
I tried Synce but it doesn't work, because Pocket IE wants a true
connection, and Synce still doesn't support the desktop passthroug.

So I had the idea of emulating a BlueTooth GPRS modem with the PC. This
is: the PDA will think that my PC has a GPRS modem and will use it to
connect to the internet.

Is possible to do that? I tried to do it with pppd and /dev/rfcomm0 but
I was unable to make it work :(

Thanks.

by Stefan Seyfried

On Mon, Nov 20, 2006 at 01:44:09PM +0100, scostas wrote:

> and a little python script to answer the AT commands, and it started to =

> work. But I don't know the right answer for the AT+CREG? command.

This is pretty off-topic here, and a simple google search for "gsm at coman=
ds"
would have lead you quickly to =

http://webapp.etsi.org/key/key.asp?GSMSpecPart1=3D27&GSMSpecPart2=3D007
and (with a small detour, i admit :-) to:
http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Specs/archive/27_series/27.007/
-- =

Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices | "Any ideas, John?"
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, N=FCrnberg | "Well, surrounding them's out." =

by Michael McConnell

scostas wrote:
> Michael McConnell escribi=F3:
> =

> Hi:
> =

> =

>>It's been a while since I had to play with inbound BT connections, but =

>>IIRC rather than making a connection back to the PDA like what you've =

>>done above, the PDA is trying to open a new session so you need =

>>something listening for the inbound BT RFCOMM connection.
> =

> =

> Yes, that was the point. I used
> =

> rfcomm listen /dev/rfcomm0 0
> =

> and a little python script to answer the AT commands, and it started to =

> work. But I don't know the right answer for the AT+CREG? command.

"OK" should be fine. I'd say answer "OK" to everything apart from ATD, =

which should get "CONNECT" then start PPP.

-- =

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email

by scostas

scostas wrote:
> Michael McConnell escribi=F3:
> =

> Hi Michael:
> =

> =

>>>So I had the idea of emulating a BlueTooth GPRS modem with the PC. This =

>>>is: the PDA will think that my PC has a GPRS modem and will use it to =

>>>connect to the internet.
> =

> =

>>You may need to set up some kind of "chat" script to emulate the AT =

>>interface of the mobile phone, this will take some trial and error since =

>>everything seems to want to send different commands :-/ The important =

>>one would be the ATD<whatever> command, in that case send "CONNECT" =

>>(chat will add the \r\n) then start PPP.
> =

> =

> The problem is that I didn't receive AT commands. I'm not sure that I =

> have configured the RFCOMM port fine. That's my first question: how do I =

> have to set up it?
> =

> I tried with
> =

> rfcomm connect 0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> =

> then I launched a cat /dev/rfcomm0 and tried to connect from the PDA, =

> but I didn't receive AT commands.

It's been a while since I had to play with inbound BT connections, but =

IIRC rather than making a connection back to the PDA like what you've =

done above, the PDA is trying to open a new session so you need =

something listening for the inbound BT RFCOMM connection. But I'll be =

damned if I can remember exactly what you need :(

-- =

scostas wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> I have a PDA and I need to connect to the internet with it, but at work.
> I tried Synce but it doesn't work, because Pocket IE wants a true
> connection, and Synce still doesn't support the desktop passthroug.
>
> So I had the idea of emulating a BlueTooth GPRS modem with the PC. This
> is: the PDA will think that my PC has a GPRS modem and will use it to
> connect to the internet.
>
> Is possible to do that? I tried to do it with pppd and /dev/rfcomm0 but
> I was unable to make it work :(

You may need to set up some kind of "chat" script to emulate the AT
interface of the mobile phone, this will take some trial and error since
everything seems to want to send different commands :-/ The important
one would be the ATD<whatever> command, in that case send "CONNECT"
(chat will add the \r\n) then start PPP.

Hope that helps.