2006-11-26 23:46:29

by Buck Golemon

Subject: [Bluez-users] Fwd: Advice on starting BT project

Sorry for cross-posting, but I feel pretty sure that this belongs in
the user's list rather than the devel list. I'm really new to this
mailing list thing and this is my second post...

I am seeking some advice on a class project that we are planning. We
would like to create a system that can emulate AVDTP/A2DP to the point
that you may play MP3 from Windows Media onto a Bluetooth device.

Does anyone have definate suggestions on how to proceed?

Here's my plan thus far:

>> Obtain a Bluetooth module that implements up to the HCI interface.
I would like to also have the L2CAP and SDP modules in hardware, but
this does not seem to be available as such. Any modules that do
implement these seem to also force you to use the SPP module (LMX9830
for example).

>> Port an early version of the Axis stack to a dsPIC microcontroller.
I am most familiar with the dsPIC and its tools. From what I gather,
the Bluez/Linux kernel driver use threading and Linux-specific code,
so it is easiest to port from the original Axis release. Also I prefer
this approach to a full-fledged embedded Linux for cost and complexity
reasons.

>> Tack onto the driver the bare minimum to establish a connection and
initiate streaming.
The Core, AVDTP, and A2DP specifications are quite detailed and I have
become familiar enough with them that I believe this is possible,
given the correct interface to the lower levels.

Thanks in advance,
Buck Golemon

by Buck Golemon

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Fwd: Advice on starting BT project

Brad

On 11/26/06, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Buck
>
> > Sorry for cross-posting, but I feel pretty sure that this belongs in
> > the user's list rather than the devel list. I'm really new to this
> > mailing list thing and this is my second post...
> >

> > I am seeking some advice on a class project that we are planning. We
> > would like to create a system that can emulate AVDTP/A2DP to the point
> > that you may play MP3 from Windows Media onto a Bluetooth device.
>
> you're not getting feedback because on the bluez lists we discuss
> bluetooth on linux using the bluez stack. We're only touching on other
> stacks when it comes to making them interoperate with bluez.
>
> the app "a2play" (see bluetooth-alsa.sf.net) will play audio to a
> headset with only an l2cap interface from the os.
>
> if you want much more help i'd suggest you lie and say you're using linux.
>
> brad

Thanks for the tip! Any idea where I could go for implementing/porting
the Bluetooth stack to a microcontroller?
--
Buck Golemon

by Brad Midgley

Buck