2007-02-06 00:07:59

by Gerhard Killesreiter

Subject: [Bluez-users] headset /SCO / plugz

Hi there!

Since I never got to work my headset with the old btsco method I decided
to try the new plugz method. However that method isn't well documented
and everything I found through google referred to the old method.

What I have:

1) usb bluetooth dongle (CSR chip):
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth
Dongle (HCI mode)

2) bluetooth headset: 00:0D:44:2F:CC:A3 Logitech HS02-V07

3) I've found the install instructions!
http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html

4) I've built and installed sbc and plugz.

5) I am running Kernel 2.6.19.2 with the patch from plugz applied (also
suspend2) on Debian etch.

6) now what? a2dpd doesn't show up in my output choices in xmms,
"headset" shows up as a choice for the mixer device, but not the general
output device.

I am pretty sure I am missing something obvious, but what?

Cheers,
Gerhard

by Gerhard Killesreiter

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] headset /SCO / plugz

Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
> Gerhard Killesreiter wrote:
>> Brad Midgley wrote:
>>> Gerhard

>>> I have to type
>>> a2dpd
>>> or
>>> headset
>>> freehand in the device choice in xmms. It's true it doesn't find it
>>> automatically and we've tried to document that.
>>>

>> Ok, tried that, but it still doesn't work.
>>
>> Set to a2dpd and ran a2dpd:

Ok, I've given up on a2dpd and tried headsetd for SCO (what I wanted to
do anyway): It works!

My problem apparently was that hibernating the laptop didn't allow
usb/alsa/bluetooth to work properly after waking up the machine.
Switching the headset on/off also seems to help. I've now added all usb
modules to the hibernate blacklist and will see if it still works after
the next hibernation.

I have booted and headsetd will now work, I can direct sound output to
my headset as given on the "build" page and I can also record sound from
the microphone doing:

arecord -D headset --format=S16_LE blah.wav

My problem is now that most apps don't allow for specific sound options
on the command line. I am thinking of skype and krut
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/krut/). Is there a way to make the
headset the default alsa device?

(later)

Apparently, the answer is yes and I need to modify my .asoundrc file.
Does anybody have a copy that works in such a way that when the headset
is available it is the default and in other cases the normal speaker/micro?

Cheers,
Gerhard

by Gerhard Killesreiter

Brad Midgley wrote:
> Gerhard
>
>> 6) now what? a2dpd doesn't show up in my output choices in xmms,
>> "headset" shows up as a choice for the mixer device, but not the general
>> output device.
>
> I have to type
> a2dpd
> or
> headset
> freehand in the device choice in xmms. It's true it doesn't find it
> automatically and we've tried to document that.

Ok, tried that, but it still doesn't work.

Set to a2dpd and ran a2dpd:

a2dpd
A2DPD[392.542]: make_daemon_process: a2dpd [Feb 4 2007 12:12:52]
starting ...
A2DPD[392.543]: init_uinput: (errno=2:No such file or directory)Cannot
open /dev/input/uinput
A2DPD[392.543]: a2dpd_signal_init:
A2DPD[392.545]: a2dpd_signal_init: (errno=2:No such file or
directory)Getting on DBUS
A2DPD[392.548]: a2dpd_signal_init: OK
A2DPD[392.548]: add_avrtg:
A2DPD[392.549]: add_a2source:
A2DPD[392.549]: a2dpd_signal_set_socket: Signal socket set to 9
A2DPD[392.551]: a2dpd_thread_handler: Registering object path:
/com/access/a2dpd
A2DPD[392.641]: a2dpd_thread_handler: Acquiring service: com.access.a2dpd
A2DPD[392.643]: a2dpd_thread_handler: Running ...
A2DPD[392.644]: a2dpd_signal_state: Disconnected

If I run aplay I get:

aplay -B 1000000 -D a2dpd
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/gallery/sounds/wallewal.wav
ALSA lib pcm.c:2143:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM a2dpd
aplay: main:550: audio open error: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

> What does your .asoundrc have in it?

It is a copy of the one you ship with the mac address of my headset.

How do I find out if my headset has been successfully paired to my
bleutooth dongle?

Cheers,
Gerhard

by Brad Midgley

Gerhard

> 6) now what? a2dpd doesn't show up in my output choices in xmms,
> "headset" shows up as a choice for the mixer device, but not the general
> output device.

I have to type
a2dpd
or
headset
freehand in the device choice in xmms. It's true it doesn't find it
automatically and we've tried to document that.

What does your .asoundrc have in it?

Brad