2007-03-14 13:54:09

by Igor Chudov

Subject: [Bluez-users] Connecting to cell phone DOES NOT WORK

I have Fedora Core 6, and its stock BlueZ stack. I also have a
motorola V557 phone and a TrendNET USB based bluetooth device.

Things do not work well so far.

I have the following symptoms:

1) hcitool scan works and sees my phone
2) hcitool cc does not report any errors.
3) hcitool auth does NOT seem to connect
4) The phone, when asked to "look around" to find Bluetooth devices,
does NOT see my laptop.

What I want is to find a 100% pure scripting solution (preferably no
GUI). I guess I am misunderstanding who should be connecting to whom,
so

* Who is the master (laptop vs phone) and who is the slave

* Who should be initiating connection to whom

* Who should set a PIN and who should supply same PIN for authentication

I feel that once I get past this confusion, I will be able to go
forward, I have been a linux user for 12 years (have only linux at
home). ppp should not be a huge problem, though it's been 6 or so
years since I used it.

Thanks A LOT for your help!

by Jared Kidd

Igor Chudov wrote:
> 4) The phone, when asked to "look around" to find Bluetooth devices,
> does NOT see my laptop.

Your laptop is probably in non-discoverable mode. Try looking at your
bluetooth settings.
> What I want is to find a 100% pure scripting solution (preferably no
> GUI). I guess I am misunderstanding who should be connecting to whom,
> so
>
> * Who is the master (laptop vs phone) and who is the slave

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this didn't matter in bluetooth.
> * Who should be initiating connection to whom

Doesn't matter, either way they can be paired.
> * Who should set a PIN and who should supply same PIN for authentication

Again. doesn't matter, they both will be paired.
> I feel that once I get past this confusion, I will be able to go
> forward, I have been a linux user for 12 years (have only linux at
> home). ppp should not be a huge problem, though it's been 6 or so
> years since I used it.

To do the internet-modem-phone thing you will want to look at your
rfcomm config as well. First you need to bind an rfcomm device to your
phone on the correct channel. you can find out which channel by pinging
your phone with l2ping. I use kppp to connect so I can't help much on a
scripting solution.

Good luck.