2007-04-24 03:57:12

by Adam Dixon

Subject: [Bluez-users] headset and input noise

Hello All.

I have bluetooth going on my laptop, and have got btsco working with
my X3 micro bt headset. However I get mass static / noise from the
input randomly.
I have reproduced on skype, twinkle and now on arecord. So currently I
dont want to use it for the phone (its intended use).

I have searched the list, and found some people having reference the
'noise', but found no clear fix.

I followed a guide to get everything installed and this is how I bring
up my headset;
hcitool cc 00:0F:79:04:7A:11
modprobe snd_bt_sco (not done if already loaded)
hciconfig hci0 voice 0x0060
btsco 00:0F:79:04:7A:11

Has anyone had this problem and know how to get around it? As I am
very happy with it other wise. If anyone could lend a hand that would
be great.

Adam

Some information;

btsco v0.5c

uname -a
Linux dixon 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 11:00:19 EDT 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:1A:6B:1E:E9:A6 ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:6909425 acl:20 sco:135398 events:111 errors:0
TX bytes:6889503 acl:18 sco:135074 commands:57 errors:5
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x9f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'dixon-0'
Class: 0x120104
Service Classes: Networking, Object Transfer
Device Class: Computer, Desktop workstation
HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0xdd2 LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subver: 0xdd2
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:1A:6B:1E:E9:A6 ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
Build 3538
Chip version: BlueCore4-External
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

hcitool scan
Scanning ...
00:0F:79:04:7A:11 X3 micro

hcitool info 00:0F:79:04:7A:11
Requesting information ...
BD Address: 00:0F:79:04:7A:11
Device Name: X3 micro
LMP Version: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subversion: 0x610
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
Features: 0xfc 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x08 0x08 0x00 0x00
<SCO link> <HV2 packets> <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log>
<CVSD> <paging scheme> <power control> <transparent SCO>
<AFH cap. slave> <AFH cap. master>

by Ma Begaj

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] headset and input noise

patch v.4.2 is working perfectly ok with the latest vanilla kernel 2.6.21.

M.

by Adam Dixon

Hello,
I have followed this guide to build kernel rpm in fedora vs
kernel-2.6.20-1.2944.fc6.src.rpm - I like Ma am struggling to get the
patch applied ok.
For those interested ( http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora )

I get the following error when building from the edited spec file.
+ echo 'Patch #8 (sco-flowcontrol-v4.2.diff):'
+ patch -p1 -s
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.12170 (%prep)
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.12170 (%prep)

I defined the patch as %patch8 -p1 ( I dont know if p1 is a suitable
argument - but all other patches used p1. Is this right?)

Does this patch only work against an older kernel ? Or do I need to
place the patch in a later number. Any hints? Even if just hints to
get more debug from this process would be nice.

Thanks allot,
Adam

On 4/26/07, Ma Begaj <[email protected]> wrote:

> > making a distro-friendly custom kernel differs from distro to distro, so
> > search around for fedora guides on doing a custom kernel. I don't use
> > fedora so I don't know.
> >
> > Brad
>
> Hi,
>
> I tried yesterday to patch my kernel with the
> plugz/patches/sco....v4.2.diff and v.4-1. No chance for patch to
> succeed.
>
> I tried version 4.2 with 2.6.20.6, but a half of the patch did not
> work. I tried it with 2.6.21-rc7, again with half of the patch skipped
>
> Everything was tested with vanilla kernel without any other patches.
>
> M.

by Ma Begaj

2007/4/26, Brad Midgley <[email protected]>:

> >> are you using the sco flowcontrol kernel patch from the plugz module
> >> under the patches directory?
> >

> making a distro-friendly custom kernel differs from distro to distro, so
> search around for fedora guides on doing a custom kernel. I don't use
> fedora so I don't know.
>
> Brad

Hi,

I tried yesterday to patch my kernel with the
plugz/patches/sco....v4.2.diff and v.4-1. No chance for patch to
succeed.

I tried version 4.2 with 2.6.20.6, but a half of the patch did not
work. I tried it with 2.6.21-rc7, again with half of the patch skipped

Everything was tested with vanilla kernel without any other patches.

M.

by Brad Midgley

Adam

>> are you using the sco flowcontrol kernel patch from the plugz module
>> under the patches directory?
>
> I cannot find any help on how to apply this patch to my kernel. I run
> fc6 - can you provide a short step guide or perhaps a link to some
> info that can assist me ?

making a distro-friendly custom kernel differs from distro to distro, so
search around for fedora guides on doing a custom kernel. I don't use
fedora so I don't know.

Brad

by Adam Dixon

Hello again,

Muting line-in did nothing.

On 4/24/07, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> are you using the sco flowcontrol kernel patch from the plugz module
> under the patches directory?

I cannot find any help on how to apply this patch to my kernel. I run
fc6 - can you provide a short step guide or perhaps a link to some
info that can assist me ?

Thanks.
Adam

by Adam Dixon

Hello Walt, Brad.

> may sound silly but did you mute 'line' in alsamixer? If you have a device it can
> cause static. I have a TV card. You may have a capture builtin your laptop.

I have not muted the linein (my laptop has onboard line in) - this
might be something to look into.

On 4/24/07, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> are you using the sco flowcontrol kernel patch from the plugz module
> under the patches directory?
>
> brad

I have seen mention this flow control patch. However I see no help in
applying it. I have FC6 and kernel source installed, do I just apply
the file using patch to my sources? then recompile plugz and sbc? or
is there more to do than that?

Some quick steps on outlining how to apply the patch would be really
appreciated, I have googled and found no-such blog or howto. Ive only
ever used patch on a single file also - which adds to my confusion.
And is it V4.2 that I use?

Thanks allot for any help.

Adam

by Brad Midgley

Adam

> I have bluetooth going on my laptop, and have got btsco working with
> my X3 micro bt headset. However I get mass static / noise from the
> input randomly.

are you using the sco flowcontrol kernel patch from the plugz module
under the patches directory?

brad

by walt shekrota

Hi,

may sound silly but did you mute 'line' in alsamixer? If you have a device it can
cause static. I have a TV card. You may have a capture builtin your laptop.

-Walt

Adam Dixon <[email protected]> wrote: Hello All.