2007-07-23 13:36:10

by steve.morard

Subject: [Bluez-users] Use /dev/ttyS* instead of /dev/rfcomm*

Hello !

I would like to know if it is possible to use /dev/ttyS* instead of /dev/rfcomm*
to connect to a bluetooth device.
Indeed I tried :

rfcomm connect /dev/ttyS2 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

But I get :

Connected /dev/rfcomm0 to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx on channel 1

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Use /dev/ttyS* instead of /dev/rfcomm*

Hi Steve,

> I would like to know if it is possible to use /dev/ttyS* instead of /dev/rfcomm*
> to connect to a bluetooth device.
> Indeed I tried :
>
> rfcomm connect /dev/ttyS2 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

that is wrong syntax anyway. No idea who thinks you can give it an
actual device node. It is only a device number from 0 to 255. That will
in the end correlate with number the X on /dev/rfcommX. However the
actual naming of the device node is up to udev and we don't force it. If
you don't give it a number (for example /dev/ttyS2) it will convert it
into 0 since it uses atoi() as parsing function.

As a side node. Using -1 will create the next free RFCOMM TTY device
node.

And btw. what the f* are you trying to do? Your question makes no sense
whatsoever. ttyS and rfcomm TTY devices are totally different. The ttyS
actually present a physical serial port in your system how do you wanna
attach a Bluetooth virtual TTY into it. Think about it.

Regards

Marcel

by Manuel Naranjo

You can create a symlink :D.