2007-08-01 15:23:03

by Laurent BARBIER

Subject: [Bluez-users] Problem building a piconet with pand

Hi,

I'm actually working on a project where I need embedded devices to
communicate between them. We decided to use bluetooth dongles and pan to
build a piconet.
Actually this work fine when we have only 3 devices : 1 GN & 2 PANU
(PANU#1 & PANU#2). When we try to add a third PANU (PANU#3), pand say
the host is down. If I shut down the connection of one of the two thers
PANU, I'm able to establish a connection with PANU#3 to the GN. I try to
setup a different GN on a linux desktop, same result, 1 GN & 2 PANU.

*On my server I do this : *
/pand --listen --nosdp --role GN -i /yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
I use brctl on the GN to bridge the interface

*On my clients I do this :*
/pand --nodetach -i xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx --role PANU --connect
/yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy

On connected PANU i have :
pand[7334]: Bluetooth PAN daemon version 2.25
pand[7334]: Connecting to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
pand[7334]: bnep0 connected

On PANU's I can't connect:
pand[8492]: Bluetooth PAN daemon version 2.25
pand[8492]: Connecting to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
pand[8492]: Connect to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy failed. Host is down(112)

I have read & reread the HOWTO-PAN. I mainly used it to setup my pan.
I know there is a limitation of 7 PANU max but there I'm far away of the
7 devices. Is there is something I have forgotten ? misconfigured ... ?
A problem with my dongles ?
If anyone could help me

Laurent

Attachments:
(No filename) (315.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Laurent,

> I'm actually working on a project where I need embedded devices to
> communicate between them. We decided to use bluetooth dongles and pan
> to build a piconet.
> Actually this work fine when we have only 3 devices : 1 GN & 2 PANU
> (PANU#1 & PANU#2). When we try to add a third PANU (PANU#3), pand say
> the host is down. If I shut down the connection of one of the two
> thers PANU, I'm able to establish a connection with PANU#3 to the GN.
> I try to setup a different GN on a linux desktop, same result, 1 GN &
> 2 PANU.
>
> On my server I do this :
> pand --listen --nosdp --role GN -i yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
> I use brctl on the GN to bridge the interface
>
> On my clients I do this :
> pand --nodetach -i xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx --role PANU --connect
> yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
>
> On connected PANU i have :
> pand[7334]: Bluetooth PAN daemon version 2.25
> pand[7334]: Connecting to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
> pand[7334]: bnep0 connected
>
> On PANU's I can't connect:
> pand[8492]: Bluetooth PAN daemon version 2.25
> pand[8492]: Connecting to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy
> pand[8492]: Connect to yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy failed. Host is down(112)
>

> I have read & reread the HOWTO-PAN. I mainly used it to setup my pan.
> I know there is a limitation of 7 PANU max but there I'm far away of
> the 7 devices. Is there is something I have forgotten ?
> misconfigured ... ? A problem with my dongles ?
> If anyone could help me

your version of pand is ancient. Install bluez-utils-3.14.

Regards

Marcel

by Laurent BARBIER

Thanks for the answer :)

I'm back from vacancies and i solved my problem a few hours after =

posting. my problem was in fact that i didn't specified on the piconet =

master to be master on the bluetooth connection. (--master flag).

For the 3.14 version, i currently can't upgrade to this version, i'm =

using bluez on an embedded device and currently it does not support the =

last bluez lib. (cross compile, kernel...)

Laurent

Marcel Holtmann a =E9crit :