2007-10-31 07:13:54

by [email protected]

Subject: [Bluez-users] VOIP bluetooth headset

(No filename) (314.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] [OT] VOIP bluetooth headset

Hi,

> > first of all Skype is not VoIP. Skype is using a proprietary protocol
> > that allows you do make calls over the Internet. That is no VoIP,
> > because it would mean an open and well document protocol.
> >
> Very interesting opinion. VoIP is voice over the internet. So Skype
> doesn't send voice, or doesn't do it over the internet?

that Skype sends voice of the Internet doesn't makes it legit to call it
VoIP. The VoIP is classically SIP, which is RFC 3261. If you tell me the
RFC number that Skype uses for their protocol, then we can talk about
it. Otherwise it is some vendor bullsh*.

Regards

Marcel

by maho+bluez

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> [...]
>
> first of all Skype is not VoIP. Skype is using a proprietary protocol
> that allows you do make calls over the Internet. That is no VoIP,
> because it would mean an open and well document protocol.

Very interesting opinion. VoIP is voice over the internet. So Skype
doesn't send voice, or doesn't do it over the internet?

regards

maHo

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] VOIP bluetooth headset

Hi Frank,

> i have successfully compiled bluez-libs and bluez-utils 3.22 with
> audio enabled. I can use my Logitech voice headset with 'mplayer -ao
> alsa:device=bluetooth' to play audio and arecord to record audio. But
> with skype 1.4.0 118 and twinkle it doesn't work. When i want to start
> a call in skype the headset makes a beep noise every second and after
> 30 seconds the call failes. when i go to the options dialog the
> headset beep again and i must wait In twinkle there is no alsa device
> "bluetooth". VOIP was the reason why i have installed bluez. I have
> googled many hours to find a solution but without success. Last i have
> tried the OSS-Version of Skype because alsa seems to be buggy in Skype
> but to emulate the headset as dsp-device in .asoundrc to use with aoss
> was too difficult for me. I hope you have an idea how i can solve the
> problem, because i can't belive that it's not possible to use skype
> with a bluetooth headset.

first of all Skype is not VoIP. Skype is using a proprietary protocol
that allows you do make calls over the Internet. That is no VoIP,
because it would mean an open and well document protocol.

Second, you have to blame Skype for not working. Their usage of the ALSA
API is totally strange and it gets worse with every version. That this
works with real hardware sound cards, it from my point of view, pure
luck. With virtual sound cards, like a Bluetooth headset it is not that
simple and so far I couldn't find a sane way to make Skype happy.

Regards

Marcel

by David MacCormack

On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Mohan Sundaram wrote:

> I was able to use my Motorola BT headset with Skype on Gutsy.
> Mohan

Interesting. I tried to get my Motorola BT headset working with Ekiga
without any luck. Since Ekiga doesn't allow one to select a virtual
device I have to change the default device before loading Ekiga. When I
tell Ekiga to talk directly to the bluetooth device I get an error,
something about full-duplex not being supported. When I tell Ekiga to
talk to the bluetooth device via PLUG it will play *very* choppy sound but
not record. Also, disconnecting the call locks Ekiga such that it has to
be killed with sig 9.

The bluez ALSA driver works fine with mplayer/aplay/arecord/etc... so I'm
guessing the problem is on Ekiga's end. Is there some sort of flag that
the bluetooth ALSA driver needs to set so that Ekiga thinks it's
full-duplex? Because piping arecord | aplay lets me both record and play
sound on the headset just fine (using the voice profile, obviously). So,
besides the fact that "arecord | aplay" is two different processes,
what's the difference between that and Ekiga that's making Ekiga barf?
I took a quick peek at the Ekiga code and I couldn't tell.

Has anyone else tried bluez ALSA+Ekiga? Any luck?

Dave

by Mohan Sundaram

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Frank,
> Second, you have to blame Skype for not working. Their usage of the ALSA
> API is totally strange and it gets worse with every version. That this
> works with real hardware sound cards, it from my point of view, pure
> luck. With virtual sound cards, like a Bluetooth headset it is not that
> simple and so far I couldn't find a sane way to make Skype happy.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel
I was able to use my Motorola BT headset with Skype on Gutsy. When I was
able to pair, Skype shows BT headset as an alsa/oss device and choosing
it worked. My problem is pairing. The headset is not discovered
consistently by the executable in System >> Preferences >> Bluetooth
headset. When discovered, if I try to make it the active handset, it
fails a couple of times and then shows up as unknown <bdaddr>. This did
work for a couple of days for me before I started having this issue.

Mohan