2007-11-04 16:14:25

by David Elze

Subject: [Bluez-users] headset via bluetooth-headset not fully working

Hey,

I'm running Debian unstable and want to do some VoIP stuff with my
HBH-PV700 (Sony Ericsson) headset over a standard bluetooth dongle
(usb).

Pretty everything works as it should:
1. I can pair the headset correctly (hcitool, gnome bluetooth
manager and friends) [1]
2. I can start the headsetd via 'headsetd -n' to get its output
3. When I run
'aplay -Dplug:headset /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav'
the headsets does a beep, I can hear some silent noise (nothing
like the expected sound, only background noise that is slightly
louder than the headset normally is if there is no aplay involved)
but not the expected sound and headsetd says [2] whereas my
.asoundrc looks like [3]

So everything seems to be fine: the connection does work, if I send some
sound to the headset-alsa-device it recognizes that, beeps and starts to
'sound' different then before but I just hear no sound. I increased all
audio levels via alsamixer, I put the usb-stick into another usb-port
(because I read something about problems with certain usb-hubs and
sco-like stuff) and did some strace'ing and aplay -verbose but there
were absolutely no error messages.

Maybe you guys have an idea or at least some rtfm-hint because I don't
know what to do anymore. The headset itself is working correctly, I
tested it twice with my normal cellphone.

Thanks for any hint :-)

Greetings, David

[1]
BD Address: xx:yy... (removed for obvious reasons)
Device Name: HBH-PV700
LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x9240
Manufacturer: Philips Semiconductors (37)
Features: 0xbc 0x28 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
<sniff mode> <SCO link> <HV3 packets> <CVSD>

[2]
headsetd[3109]: Configuration phase ended: target bdaddr is xx:yy:...,
timeout is 6000 ms
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Idle-->Paging
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Paging-->Connecting
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Connecting-->Ready
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Ready-->Opening
headsetd[3109]: SCO channel opened handle=0x002b mtu=64
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Opening-->Streaming
headsetd[3109]: Appli closed socket
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Streaming-->Zombie
headsetd[3109]: Nobody uses SCO channel anymore, closing it.
headsetd[3109]: Changing state: Zombie-->Connected

[3]
pcm.headset {
@args [BDADDR TIMEOUT]
@args.BDADDR {
type string
default "xx:yy:..."
}
@args.TIMEOUT {
type integer
default 6000
}
type sco
bdaddr $BDADDR
timeout $TIMEOUT
}
ctl.headset {
type sco
}

by David Elze

Hey maHo,

Am Sonntag, den 04.11.2007, 18:12 +0100 schrieb maho+bluez:
> What aplay -v -Dplug:headset /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav says?
> Doesn't it say that "Prorotocol not available (92)" ?

Nope, the output is just:

# aplay -v -Dplug:headset /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (8000, sformat=S16_LE)
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : RW_INTERLEAVED
format : S16_LE
subformat : STD
channels : 1
rate : 48000
exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits : 16
buffer_size : 24048
period_size : 144
period_time : 3000
tick_time : 0
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 144
xfer_align : 144
start_threshold : 24048
stop_threshold : 24048
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 1576009728
Slave: Bluetooth SCO Audio
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format : S16_LE
subformat : STD
channels : 1
rate : 8000
exact rate : 8000 (8000/1)
msbits : 16
buffer_size : 4008
period_size : 24
period_time : 3000
tick_time : 0
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 24
xfer_align : 24
start_threshold : 4008
stop_threshold : 4008
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 2101346304

Rate conversion is done (48kHz->8kHz) so this can't be the problem
anyways. Furthermore, if I play some longer file (or for example a
mp3 via xmms with the headset as alsa output device selected) the
same happens. Headset beeps initially, sound is playing according to the
user level in Linux quite normally but there is no sound at the headset,
just this very low noise (that goes away when the user level player,
aplay or xmms, is done).

Oh, and I also tried to record something off the headset via arecord:
the sound seems to be recorded (again, no errors at all) but the
resulting wav-file is just empty.

Greets, David

by maho+bluez

David Elze wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm running Debian unstable and want to do some VoIP stuff with my
> HBH-PV700 (Sony Ericsson) headset over a standard bluetooth dongle
> (usb).
>
> Pretty everything works as it should:
> 1. I can pair the headset correctly (hcitool, gnome bluetooth
> manager and friends) [1]
> 2. I can start the headsetd via 'headsetd -n' to get its output
> 3. When I run
> 'aplay -Dplug:headset /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav'
> the headsets does a beep, I can hear some silent noise (nothing
> like the expected sound, only background noise that is slightly
> louder than the headset normally is if there is no aplay involved)
> but not the expected sound and headsetd says [2] whereas my
> .asoundrc looks like [3]

[...]
What aplay -v -Dplug:headset /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav says?

Doesn't it say that "Prorotocol not available (92)" ?

I have very similar problems (see
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.user/12981), but no solution
yet, but my aplay gives that error #92.

I suspect that it's hardware issue, but I don't know if it's my headset
(moto h500), usb dongle (some broadcom), or something else?

regards

maHo