2008-01-15 13:23:12

by Joel Jose

Subject: [Bluez-users] how many BT devices can be connected at the same time?

hy all,

I am doing a project, which requires 'n' simultanious connection,
depending on the users loggin into the facility. I was thinking about
implementing an application level "scheduling" to take care of
multiplexing the request. But is there a limit in bluez?? I have heard
bluethooth has a 6slave+1master rule?? I read the FAQ for bluez..but
it confused me with saying .. "multiple devices can be connected".

thanks for your time,
joel.
--
As soon as men decide that all means are permitted to fight an
evil, then their good becomes indistinguishable from the evil

by Joel Jose

yup now i got what you were trying to say. So effectively. i can
connect 7 mobiles through bluetooth to my laptop adapter at one
instance of time. hmmm... I read a spec.. It says while its true only
7 can form a piconet, we can have 255 connections put on hold( passive
mode).. i think i can manage from here... thanks a lot.

joel.

by Manuel Naranjo

You should read the specs a bit.

A dongle is a physical device that you plug to your computer via
different medias like USB, RS232 etc.

Each one of those dongles can manage up to 7 connections, and bluez can
handle up to 15 of those dongles.

Cell phones can handle up to 7 ACL connections (low level), higher
levels connections depends on the cell.

> oh here i got a little confused,
>
> 7 connection for each dongle you mean??.. that means i can connect 15
> different BT devices and each device can simultaneously have 7
> connections with the Bluez stack??.. My application works on a
> topology with heterogenious BT devices. Mobiles being the lowest
> common denominator. So when i talk specifically about mobiles, I can
> connect 15 mobiles to Bluez with one connection from each(i think
> mobiles cant have more than one connection at any instance of time).
>

> If i can get these informations cleared up first, i can continue with
> my interesting venture ;). I am planning to circumvent this
> restriction using multiplexing. I will just let the connections wait,
> till they get free ;). Let me see how it goes. But someone please
> correct if i am still misunderstanding the BT constraints.
>

> joel.
>
> On Jan 15, 2008 6:58 PM, Manuel Naranjo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Joel,
>> You have 2 maximuns one is because of bluetooth specs the other is
>> because of BlueZ constraints.
>>
>> BlueZ can handle up to 15 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) bluetooth
>> dongles (hci devices).
>>
>> Then you can get up to 7 connections per bluetooth dongles (bluetooth
>> constraint)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Manuel
>>

>>> hy all,
>>>
>>> I am doing a project, which requires 'n' simultanious connection,
>>> depending on the users loggin into the facility. I was thinking about
>>> implementing an application level "scheduling" to take care of
>>> multiplexing the request. But is there a limit in bluez?? I have heard
>>> bluethooth has a 6slave+1master rule?? I read the FAQ for bluez..but
>>> it confused me with saying .. "multiple devices can be connected".
>>>
>>> thanks for your time,
>>> joel.

by Joel Jose