2008-01-19 23:22:29

by Gunnar Thielebein

Subject: [Bluez-users] audio bluetooth connectivity in gutsy

Hi group,

I am trying to connect my headset in gutsy with default kernel
2.6.22-14-generic. I tried all four(?) possible solutions: old sco way,
plugz, bluetooth-alsa (at least the package in gutsy) and bluez-audio
which all ends finally with a hardlock of my system when the connection
was established with headset.

Authentication and sdp browsing works fine at least in kde.

I tested sound play with smplayer,mplayer,aplay,play.

I also tested with the unstable packages from sid libbluez, bluez-
bluez-audio, gstreamer-plugins

Could you tell if I need a more current kernel version than 22?
Or is it something with my hardware?

my hardware spec:

Headset: HBH-PV700
---
Dongle: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0f4d:1000 Microtune, Inc. Bluetooth Dongle
---
arch: amd64 - 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 05:28:27 UTC 2007
x86_64 GNU/Linux

by Brad Midgley

Benito

> Nevertheless I can go one step further than Gunnar: the audio player
> starts up, the headset-speaker beeps,
>
> To my uneducated eyes this looks like the audio stream somehow can't be
> transmitted while the "signalling" works.

Yes, you're correct that signaling works but not audio. The beep you
hear is the headset letting you know the connection was negotiated...
it's not a sound sent by the computer.

It's unlikely the problem is in the headset. What usually is happening
in this situation is the computer opens the sco connection and tries
to push data over it but the adapter is not picking up the data and
transmitting it.

--
Brad

by Benito Torres

Hi,

excuse me for jumping in: I'm trying to use the same headset with a
BTA-3120 bluetooth dongle of which hciconfig also says "Unsupported
manufacturer"[1] (with bluez-utils v3.24, no sco/plugz/bt-alsa).

Nevertheless I can go one step further than Gunnar: the audio player
starts up, the headset-speaker beeps, but then there's only noise and
the audio player (mplayer in this case) doesn't start to play but (after
a while) shows errors:

[AO_ALSA] Write error: Resource temporarily unavailable
[AO_ALSA] Trying to reset soundcard.
A: 1.1 (01.0) of 1.0 (01.0) 0.8%

After some more time (the piece of sound normally would already have
ended):

2 bytes of audio data lost due to buffer overflow, len = 4

To my uneducated eyes this looks like the audio stream somehow can't be
transmitted while the "signalling" works.

This is exactly the same behaviour as described by David Elze on this
list at November 4th:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=1194192865.2823.20.camel%40aero64.datenschrott.de

So my question: might the problem also be the headset? Is there any
point in trying to get it work, maybe with a different dongle? Or should
I rather look for a different headset and stay with my dongle (which one
works well besides for this problem)?

Thanks a lot for your opinion, Ben

[1]
$> hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0A:94:16:B9:25 ACL MTU: 120:20 SCO MTU: 50:0
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:2319423 acl:119 sco:45411 events:111 errors:0
TX bytes:1768 acl:63 sco:0 commands:34 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8d 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: MASTER
Name: 'flunder'
Class: 0x08010c
Service Classes: Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Laptop
HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x0 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver: 0x8a9
Manufacturer: Silicon Wave (11)

$> hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0A:94:16:B9:25 ACL MTU: 120:20 SCO MTU: 50:0
Unsupported manufacturer

by Brad Midgley

Gunnar

[sudo hciconfig hci0 revision]
> Unsupported manufacturer

this is referring to the use of sco on this adapter. Try a csr based adapter.

--
Brad

by Gunnar Thielebein

Heres my hcid.conf (comments stripped):

options {
autoinit yes;
security auto;
pairing multi;
passkey "0000"; # pw for headset pairing
}

device {
name "%h-%d";
class 0x000100;
iscan enable; pscan enable;
lm master;
lp rswitch,hold,sniff,park;
}

.asoundrc:

pcm.bluetooth {
type bluetooth
device 00:12:EE:18:95:CA
}

I had my other soundcard in use could that cause problems in some cases?
I want to use the sco part of bt-audio so the test with mplayer was only
for checking if it works in general.
later on I would like to use linphone with it.

This is output of hciconfig:

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0B:0D:20:FE:15 ACL MTU: 339:4 SCO MTU: 0:0
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:996 acl:0 sco:0 events:25 errors:0
TX bytes:596 acl:0 sco:0 commands:24 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x3d 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: MASTER
Name: 'knallbuntu-0knallbuntu-0'
Class: 0x080104
Service Classes: Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Desktop workstation
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x93 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x93
Manufacturer: Transilica, Inc. (24)

Brad Midgley schrieb:
> Gunnar
>
> I'd be most suspect of the microtune dongle. It would tell us more if you ran:
>
> hciconfig -a;sudo hciconfig hci0 revision
>
> Brad
>
> On Jan 19, 2008 4:22 PM, Gunnar Thielebein <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi group,
>>
>> I am trying to connect my headset in gutsy with default kernel
>> 2.6.22-14-generic. I tried all four(?) possible solutions: old sco way,
>> plugz, bluetooth-alsa (at least the package in gutsy) and bluez-audio
>> which all ends finally with a hardlock of my system when the connection
>> was established with headset.
>>
>> Authentication and sdp browsing works fine at least in kde.
>>
>> I tested sound play with smplayer,mplayer,aplay,play.
>>
>> I also tested with the unstable packages from sid libbluez, bluez-
>> bluez-audio, gstreamer-plugins
>>
>> Could you tell if I need a more current kernel version than 22?
>> Or is it something with my hardware?
>>
>> my hardware spec:
>>
>> Headset: HBH-PV700
>> ---
>> Dongle: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0f4d:1000 Microtune, Inc. Bluetooth Dongle
>> ---
>> arch: amd64 - 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 05:28:27 UTC 2007
>> x86_64 GNU/Linux

If you are on gutsy, I can also tell you : the official bluez package is
outdated. You won't have good sound quality (a2dp) with it. There are
updated packages there --> "deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/blueman ubuntu
bluetooth". On wiki.bluez.org, there are all the explanations you need to
connect your headset. And try blueman, in the same repo. It makes life
easier.

Attachments:
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (484.00 B)
(No filename) (228.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley

Gunnar

I'd be most suspect of the microtune dongle. It would tell us more if you ran:

hciconfig -a;sudo hciconfig hci0 revision

Brad

On Jan 19, 2008 4:22 PM, Gunnar Thielebein <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> I am trying to connect my headset in gutsy with default kernel
> 2.6.22-14-generic. I tried all four(?) possible solutions: old sco way,
> plugz, bluetooth-alsa (at least the package in gutsy) and bluez-audio
> which all ends finally with a hardlock of my system when the connection
> was established with headset.
>
> Authentication and sdp browsing works fine at least in kde.
>
> I tested sound play with smplayer,mplayer,aplay,play.
>
> I also tested with the unstable packages from sid libbluez, bluez-
> bluez-audio, gstreamer-plugins
>
> Could you tell if I need a more current kernel version than 22?
> Or is it something with my hardware?
>
> my hardware spec:
>
> Headset: HBH-PV700
> ---
> Dongle: Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0f4d:1000 Microtune, Inc. Bluetooth Dongle
> ---
> arch: amd64 - 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 05:28:27 UTC 2007
> x86_64 GNU/Linux

Brad