2008-07-04 20:55:23

by Norbert Unterberg

Subject: [Bluez-users] Override default inquiry mode?

Hi,

I have got one of those tiny bluetooth USB adapters
(http://www.anycom.com/products/bluetooth_it_pc_accessoires/?id=102&group_id=3,
Broadcom chipset) and want to use it on my EEE PC. However, it does not work as
I hoped.

The adapter only works after setting the inquiry mode from RSSI/Extended to
standard mode using
hciconfig hcio reset
hciconfig hci0 inqmode 0

Is there any way to tell the bluetooth stack (i.e. in one of its config files)
to always use the standard mode for this adapter, or even for all adapters?

Norbert

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Override default inquiry mode?

Hi Norbert,

> >> I have got one of those tiny bluetooth USB adapters
> >> (http://www.anycom.com/products/bluetooth_it_pc_accessoires/?id=102&group_id=3,
> >> Broadcom chipset) and want to use it on my EEE PC. However, it does not work as
> >> I hoped.
> >>
> >> The adapter only works after setting the inquiry mode from RSSI/Extended to
> >> standard mode using
> >> hciconfig hcio reset
> >> hciconfig hci0 inqmode 0
> >>
> >> Is there any way to tell the bluetooth stack (i.e. in one of its config files)
> >> to always use the standard mode for this adapter, or even for all adapters?
> >
> > what is your problem with using a better inquiry mode? We haven't had
> > any problem with this in a long long time. Your application might be
> > broken actually if it can't deal with more advanced inquiry modes.
>
> The problem is notwith my application but with hciconfig and hcitool:
>
> asus-931342168:/root> hciconfig -a
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:0A:3A:82:06:80 ACL MTU: 1021:8 SCO MTU: 64:1
> UP RUNNING
> RX bytes:163 acl:0 sco:0 events:19 errors:0
> TX bytes:564 acl:0 sco:0 commands:19 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xff 0x79 0x83
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Can't read local name on hci0: Input/output error (5)
> asus-931342168:/root> hcitool scan
> Scanning ...
> Inquiry failed: Connection timed out
>
> I guess it is a problem with the bluetooth adapter's firmware.
>
> > However hcid.conf should have a inqmode setting.
>
> I'll try. Is there a hcid.conf reference? man hcid.conf does not show a
> inqmode setting.

you might have to load hci_usb driver with reset=1 module parameter.

Regards

Marcel

by Norbert Unterberg

Mumia W.. schrieb:
> On 07/04/2008 03:55 PM, Norbert Unterberg wrote:

>> I have got one of those tiny bluetooth USB adapters
>> (http://www.anycom.com/products/bluetooth_it_pc_accessoires/?id=102&group_id=3,
>> Broadcom chipset) and want to use it on my EEE PC. However, it does not work as
>> I hoped.
>>
>> The adapter only works after setting the inquiry mode from RSSI/Extended to
>> standard mode using
>> hciconfig hcio reset
>> hciconfig hci0 inqmode 0
>>
>> Is there any way to tell the bluetooth stack (i.e. in one of its config files)
>> to always use the standard mode for this adapter, or even for all adapters?

> I have remarkably little knowledge of Bluetooth, and I haven't had any
> experience with the EeePC, but I suspect that you could create a startup
> script that performs those "hciconfig" actions.

That only works if the USB bluetooth adapter is plugged in during system start.
If I plug the adapter in after the system is running it uses the default
(extended) mode. Or is there a hook script running every time an adapter is
plugged in?

by Mumia W..