2008-07-14 15:18:32

by Robert Moskowitz

Subject: [Bluez-users] Centos/RHEL has old version of Bluez -- what to do?

I am using Centos 5.2. It has bluez-utils-3.7-2*

I realize this is quite old and I have a lot of bluetooth plans.

I would like to update to a more current bluez version, but have a
number of concerns. Like the impact on my other bluez rpms:

bluez-gnome-0.5-5.fc6.i386.rpm
bluez-hcidump-1.32-1.i386.rpm
bluez-libs-3.7-1.i386.rpm
bluez-utils-3.7-2.el5.centos.i386.rpm
bluez-utils-cups-3.7-2.el5.centos.i386.rpm
gnome-bluetooth-0.7.0-10.2.el5.i386.rpm
gnome-bluetooth-libs-0.7.0-10.2.el5.i386.rpm

I suppose if I knew what I was doing enough to rebuild all these rpms, I
could get this to work. So I have a few questions:

I want to use Asterisk's chan_mobile that pairs the system to a
bluetooth phone for a cellular trunk.
I want to run a PAN.
I want a Bluetooth headset for my SIP phone and stereo for my mp3 playing.

Given these modest wants:

Will it work with bluez 3.7?
Will it be hard to get it to work and keep working with 3.7?
Has anyone built more current rpms for Centos 5.2?
Is anyone willing to help me built more current rpms for Centos 5.2?

Thanks and good day to you all!

by Robert Moskowitz

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am using Centos 5.2. It has bluez-utils-3.7-2*

And now I realize that there are bluez kernel modules. And I can expect
that to move to anything more recent (and stable) with bluez, would
require a kernel compile. Not something I woudl attempt.

argh.