2008-08-10 23:23:53

by Jared Kidd

Subject: [Bluez-users] bluetooth tethering to at&t phone issues

I have been tethering internet through my at&t cell phone for over a year
using bluetooth PAN (old daemon way as I can't find ANY documentation on how
to do it the new way). Recently it started acting a little flaky. any
streaming videos would stop after the first few seconds, emerge sync would
either take forever to get started or stop halfway, and downloading any
larger files would fail. I recently renewed my contract and got a new phone
(blackjack ii), thinking it was the old phone as it would get very hot. The
issue persists and has gotten worse to the point that it is unusable. Now,
browsing/email still works fine. Streaming videos and it seems any sustained
download fails. If I attempt to start an emerge sync it will seem to halt
ALL internet traffic, same thing with other high traffic things - ALL
internet traffic halts. and I either have to wait a few minutes or reboot
the phone and connect all over again to get it working again.

I have noticed that when this all stops working, I can still ping the phones
ip address just fine, I just can't get anywhere past it. So it seems the
bluetooth connection between the phone and computer still works just fine.

I then started thinking that it may be some blocking technique at&t has
implemented to stop people from torrenting/downloading lots of stuff on
their 3g network and am about to cancel the internet plan as it is unusable.

Then a coworker of mine told me he has no problems with tethering at all.
Youtube works, downloading works, and he can even torrent.

So I decided to do something I hardly ever do - boot into windows XP and
connect through my phone the same exact way. And guess what.....IT WORKS
FINE!

Can anyone offer any explaination? I'll have to try my wifes ubuntu box and
see if it has the same issues as mine. It just seems very odd that it works
fine in windows but not in linux, and that in linux when internet stops
working I can still ping my phone.

Is it possible that at&t has some way to see if I am using a non-windows OS
and then screw up the connection? Or could it be a bluetooth PAN issue in
linux?

Attachments:
(No filename) (2.06 kB)
(No filename) (2.18 kB)
(No filename) (363.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Jared Kidd

Does anyone know how to set up bluetooth pan the *new* way? As in not
using the old daemon? I searched the blues wiki and found that I need to
create a /etc/bluetooth/network.conf file but it fails to explain what
to do after that. All else I could find was dbus info on setting it up
which suggests there should he a program or script out there to do this.
Does anyone know? Or is this a closely guarded secret that only the
bluez devs know about?

Xamindar wrote:

> Brad Midgley wrote:
>> Jared
>>
>>> to do it the new way). Recently it started acting a little flaky. any
>>> streaming videos would stop after the first few seconds, emerge sync
>>> would
>>> either take forever to get started or stop halfway, and downloading any
>>> larger files would fail.
>>
>> I've noticed some issues like that and it seemed like it might be
>> something happening on the att network. I have been updating my system
>> to the latest ubuntu, so it's possible there was a subtle regression
>> somewhere.
>>
>> I haven't done a lot of testing, but I haven't noticed the issue when
>> using dun on my n810. (I have a tilt that I used the
>> soft-reset-after-hard-reset trick on so dun didn't get disabled)
>>

> Do you think maybe this could be the phones issue? I'll have to test a
> different phone to see if it still happens. I noticed when the internet
> stops working the phone also can't access the internet for a while
> afterward. I either wait a while or reboot the phone and it's back again.

by Jared Kidd

Brad Midgley wrote:
> Jared
>
>> to do it the new way). Recently it started acting a little flaky. any
>> streaming videos would stop after the first few seconds, emerge sync would
>> either take forever to get started or stop halfway, and downloading any
>> larger files would fail.
>
> I've noticed some issues like that and it seemed like it might be
> something happening on the att network. I have been updating my system
> to the latest ubuntu, so it's possible there was a subtle regression
> somewhere.
>
> I haven't done a lot of testing, but I haven't noticed the issue when
> using dun on my n810. (I have a tilt that I used the
> soft-reset-after-hard-reset trick on so dun didn't get disabled)

Do you think maybe this could be the phones issue? I'll have to test a
different phone to see if it still happens. I noticed when the internet
stops working the phone also can't access the internet for a while
afterward. I either wait a while or reboot the phone and it's back again.

by thanit sara

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Inquiry result with RSSI (From Newbie)

My hcidump seems to be running now, but still cannot read the rssi value. Anyone please tell me where can I read the RSSI from the inquiry result.

> [...]
>
> //to open the socket of the local BT device
> sock = hci_open_dev( local_BT_id );
> // check for error
> if (local_BT_id < 0 || sock < 0)
> {
> perror("Fail to open device socket");
> exit(1);
> }
> //*****************************************************
> //Set up an event filter looking after the inquiry related events
> struct hci_filter InqFilter;
> hci_filter_clear(&InqFilter);
> hci_filter_set_ptype(HCI_EVENT_PKT, &InqFilter);
> hci_filter_set_event(EVT_INQUIRY_RESULT, &InqFilter);
> hci_filter_set_event(EVT_INQUIRY_RESULT, &InqFilter);
> hci_filter_set_event(EVT_INQUIRY_RESULT_WITH_RSSI, &InqFilter);
> hci_filter_set_event(EVT_INQUIRY_RESULT_WITH_RSSI, &InqFilter);
> hci_filter_set_event(EVT_INQUIRY_COMPLETE, &InqFilter);
> if (setsockopt(sock, SOL_HCI, HCI_FILTER, &InqFilter, sizeof(InqFilter)) < 0)
> {
> perror("Fail to setup filter!");
> exit(1);
> }
>
> //*****************************************************
> //inquiry with the RSSI result
> inquiry_info_with_rssi read_rssi;
>
> write_inquiry_mode_cp cpp;
> cpp.mode = 0x01;
> int set_Inquiring = hci_send_cmd(sock, OGF_HOST_CTL, OCF_WRITE_INQUIRY_MODE, WRITE_INQUIRY_MODE_RP_SIZE, &cpp);//set inquiry mode
>
> inquiry_cp cp;
> cp.lap[0] =0x33;
> cp.lap[1] =0x8b;
> cp.lap[2] =0x9e;
> cp.length = 4; //=4*1.28second = 5seconds
> cp.num_rsp =0;
>
> int Inquiring = hci_send_cmd(sock, OGF_LINK_CTL,OCF_INQUIRY , INQUIRY_CP_SIZE, &cp);//do inquiry
> if (Inquiring < 0)
> {
>
> printf("starting to inquire: %d\n",Inquiring);
> exit(1);
> }
> else
> printf ("Done inquiry with RSSI!\n");
>
> printf("rssi value = %d \n", read_rssi.rssi); //Try to print the RSSI value here.
> close( sock );//close socket
> return 0;
> }
> /***********************************************************************
>

> Beside my hcidump shows no event result format with RSSI.
>
> < HCI Command: Write Inquiry Mode (0x03|0x0045) plen 1
> 01
>> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
> 01 45 0C 00
> < HCI Command: Inquiry (0x01|0x0001) plen 5
> 33 8B 9E 04 00
>> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
> 12 01 01 04
> /********************************************************************
>
> Your kindness is greatly appreciated. I use Fedora9, with BlueZ version 3.32. (I tried command hciconfig hci0 inqmode 1 and it works fine, so I think the problem might not be from my usb dongle.)

by thanit sara

> [...]

printf("rssi value = %d \n", read_rssi.rssi); //Try to print the RSSI value here.
close( sock );//close socket
return 0;
}

Beside my hcidump shows no event result format with RSSI.

< HCI Command: Write Inquiry Mode (0x03|0x0045) plen 1
01
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 4
01 45 0C 00
< HCI Command: Inquiry (0x01|0x0001) plen 5
33 8B 9E 04 00
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
12 01 01 04

Your kindness is greatly appreciated. I use Fedora9, with BlueZ version 3.32. (I tried command hciconfig hci0 inqmode 1 and it works fine, so I think the problem might not be from my usb dongle.)

by Brad Midgley

Jared

--
Brad