2008-11-12 22:10:06

by Robert Moskowitz

Subject: [Bluez-users] Tutorial on pans

I am running Centos 5.2 on a number of test systems and want to setup a
bluetooth pan for managing these systems (the ethernet and wifi LANs are
needed for the testing). So this is a 'close' pan. There will be 5
systems in the pan; 4 test systems and one monitoring system.

Centos has bluez-libs 3.7-1.1 and bluez-utils 3.7-2.2

I don't need NAT or anything else. I will be putting bluetooth
headphones on some of these test systems for SIP testing.

Where can I find a tutorial on how to configure pand so as these systems
come up the pan starts up, and it is 'secure' (as secure as anything
with bluetooth is).

by Robert Moskowitz

Subject: [Bluez-users] Can't start pand -- is the problem in /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand?

This is on Centos (RHEL 5, FC6ish):

I have been stepping into pand. There is nothing I can find on this list
about getting pand working. There are some instructions on
wifi.bluez.org that seem to be redhatish, but....

I have edited /etc/sysconfig/pand:

PANDARGS='--listen --role GN --master'

I have created a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bnep0:

DEVICE=bnep0
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=no
IPADDR=192.168.201.101
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

I run: service pand start

nothing happens.

I look at: /etc/rc.d/init.d/pand and see:

[ -x /etc/bluetooth/pan/system-up ] && /etc/bluetooth/pan/system-up

huh? My system does not have an /etc/bluetooth/pan directory. there is a

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-bnep

So I decided to create an /etc/bluetooth/pan/dev-up file as I found at:
http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=598890

#!/bin/bash
ifup bnep0

Still nothing. pand is not starting and there are no messages in
/var/log/messages

what am I missing here?