2007-06-03 13:25:35

by Alexander H Deriziotis

Subject: [Bluez-users] a2dp stream + bluetooth mouse not working at same time

Hi,

I've got the MS IntelliMouse Explorer for Bluetooth, and a pair of Orange
Bluetooth speakers
(http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/News_and_reviews/orangebluetooth.asp).
I'm using Feisty Fawn and have configured bluetooth-alsa to stream all
sounds to the bluetooth speakers (via .asounrc in pcm.!default) which works
well enough if it's the only bluetooth device I'm using.

The only issue is, whenever I connect and move the mouse (using hidd) while
I'm streaming music using a2dpd, the music starts cutting out and jumping
until I stop moving the mouse. My first thought was that the bluetooth
device reached a bandwidth limit. However, a thought occurred to me- since
the mouse is sending to the bluetooth device, but the speakers are receiving
from the device- is there not a separate send/receive bandwidth?

One thing I have tried is disabling the bluetooth sniff mode by echoing 0 to
/sys/class/bluetooth/hci0/idle_timeout, which I think may be providing a
slight improvement on things (altho it's hard to tell). Am I expecting too
much from my bluetooth transceiver? Anyone have any ideas how I can improve
the performance of these two devices working together?

Regards,
Alex

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.16 kB)
(No filename) (1.37 kB)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Alexander H Deriziotis

One last thing that might be worth mentioning in case anyone comes across a
similar problem, and is looking through the archives for a solution.

I was having, what I thought was a completely unrelated problem, regarding
the speakers crackling when streaming music. This was before I installed any
other bluetooth devices and with an out-of-the box set of Orange speakers
and Ubuntu 7.04.

When streaming from my laptop, I was getting quite a heavy crackle coming
from the speakers. To the point that it was annoying, especially when
listening to anything with electric guitars in it. If I played music using a
cable, the crackle would disappear completely. I tried streaming using a
Sony Ericsson k800i, which supports the a2dp profile, and the crackle was
just barely there, only much fainter than the one when streaming from the
laptop.

After applying Brad's fix, the crackle has nearly completely disappeared. It
may even be less than what it was when streaming through the Ericsson (an
'officially' supported phone). So it seems the master/slave configuration
could also have been causing that problem.

Once again thanks very much Brad, and community support rocks!

Alex

On 03/06/07, Brad Midgley < [email protected]> wrote:

> hey
>

> > The only issue is, whenever I connect and move the mouse (using hidd)
> > while I'm streaming music using a2dpd, the music starts cutting out and
> > jumping until I stop moving the mouse.
>

> I'm not sure why it would be happening. I had this same problem when
> streaming to a combo headset but I believe it's because the headset wanted
> to be the master device by default. The laptop's adapter was cutting out
> because of the inefficiency of the scatternet (laptop was master to mouse
> but slave to headset). It helped to force master mode in that case. To try
> that, put "master" in hcid.conf's lm setting and you take "rswitch" out of
> the lp setting.
>
> Are there any other bluetooth devices involved, even if they aren't
> active?
>
> Brad

(No filename) (2.43 kB)
(No filename) (3.46 kB)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Alexander H Deriziotis

Hi Brad,

Legendary- this worked like a charm. My music is now streaming beautifully
and the mouse is working beautifully as well.

In regards to your question, no other devices were involved.

Now for some community back-patting- I am actually now officially tied in to
the Linux platform seeing as I couldn't even get the a2dp protocol stack for
my bluetooth transceiver working at all in windows. Not only that, my MS
Intellimouse just magically stopped working altogether in Windows and is
essentially plug and play in Linux thanks to hidd. I could go back to
windows but not even my mouse would work ;) Linux is by-far ahead in the
bluetooth game.

Thanks all,
Alex

On 03/06/07, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:

> hey
>

> > The only issue is, whenever I connect and move the mouse (using hidd)
> > while I'm streaming music using a2dpd, the music starts cutting out and
> > jumping until I stop moving the mouse.
>

> I'm not sure why it would be happening. I had this same problem when
> streaming to a combo headset but I believe it's because the headset wanted
> to be the master device by default. The laptop's adapter was cutting out
> because of the inefficiency of the scatternet (laptop was master to mouse
> but slave to headset). It helped to force master mode in that case. To try
> that, put "master" in hcid.conf's lm setting and you take "rswitch" out of
> the lp setting.
>
> Are there any other bluetooth devices involved, even if they aren't
> active?
>
> Brad

(No filename) (1.93 kB)
(No filename) (2.83 kB)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley

hey

> The only issue is, whenever I connect and move the mouse (using hidd)
> while I'm streaming music using a2dpd, the music starts cutting out and
> jumping until I stop moving the mouse.

I'm not sure why it would be happening. I had this same problem when
streaming to a combo headset but I believe it's because the headset wanted
to be the master device by default. The laptop's adapter was cutting out
because of the inefficiency of the scatternet (laptop was master to mouse
but slave to headset). It helped to force master mode in that case. To try
that, put "master" in hcid.conf's lm setting and you take "rswitch" out of
the lp setting.

Are there any other bluetooth devices involved, even if they aren't active?

Brad

Attachments:
(No filename) (735.00 B)
(No filename) (972.00 B)