2006-01-23 19:28:02

by Joseph Dunn

Subject: [Bluez-users] class 1 bluetooth 1.2 dongles with CSR chipset? (in USA)

I currently have an IOGear Broadcom-based dongle because I didnt know
what to look for. Now that I know my only real chance of SCO working
with linux is a CSR chipset.... well, I want one. I was reading the
archives of this mailing list and saw that the suggestion was to get a
Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support. However, it isn't
looking like I can get hold of one in the USA. Any other suggestions?

-Joe

by Joseph Dunn

As for the possibility of getting the UK ones in the US, well, I tried
a few searches and found 3 or 4 retailers, but none shipped to the US.
Someone might be able to talk them into it, but the web forms
explicitly say UK only, or at least "not US". If I'm completely off
base about this, that's be fine, send me a link, I want a dongle more
than my pride. Actually, looking at the cost of the zonet and bluetake
you listed earlier I'm almost tempted to buy one and risk it, but right
now I wouldn't have time to mess with it anyway.

-Joseph

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:57:01 -0700
Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jeff
>
> You could probably get something on Marcel's list from one of the UK
> retailers if you don't mind paying more... I am hoping to come across a
> domestic offering that is easy to recommend.
>
> Neither zonet nor bluetake have replied to emails asking what is in
> there. There's got to be someone with these who could check :(
>
> I do know that the mainstream offerings: belkin, kensington, iogear are
> not using CSR.
>
> Brad

by Brad Midgley

Jeff

You could probably get something on Marcel's list from one of the UK
retailers if you don't mind paying more... I am hoping to come across a
domestic offering that is easy to recommend.

Neither zonet nor bluetake have replied to emails asking what is in
there. There's got to be someone with these who could check :(

I do know that the mainstream offerings: belkin, kensington, iogear are
not using CSR.

Brad

> I'm also in the market for USB adapters (in the US). Any advice for
> which have CSR chipsets? Am I reading you right -- are you saying
> that bluecore4 is not yet available in a USB dongle? That's too bad.
> What about other form factors? PCI? PCMCIA?
>
> Patrick, do you know if Epox is available to the US market?
>
> thanks,
> jw
>

> On 1/23/06, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Joseph
>>
>>fwiw, I've been shopping around too, but I'm also looking for class 1.
>>The best candidates for edr, class 1 csr...
>>
>>Zonet ZUB6201C:
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130026
>>
>>And bluetake bt007ex:
>>
>> http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=176
>>
>>but I never found out from anyone if it is CSR like both of these
>>manufacturers have used in the past. Does anyone have either of these
>>adapters?
>>
>>Does anyone else think something is going on with CSR adoption rates?
>>Vendors seem to have ignored bluecore4 and waited for broadcom edr to
>>show up before going to bluetooth 2.0. Even those that were using
>>bluecore2 before, like belkin, did this...
>>
>>Brad

by Jeff Wilson

Hi Brad, hi list,

I'm also in the market for USB adapters (in the US). Any advice for
which have CSR chipsets? Am I reading you right -- are you saying
that bluecore4 is not yet available in a USB dongle? That's too bad.=20
What about other form factors? PCI? PCMCIA?

Patrick, do you know if Epox is available to the US market?

thanks,
jw

On 1/23/06, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Joseph
>
> fwiw, I've been shopping around too, but I'm also looking for class 1.
> The best candidates for edr, class 1 csr...
>
> Zonet ZUB6201C:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=3DN82E16833130026
>
> And bluetake bt007ex:
>
> http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?cPath=3D26&products_id=3D176
>
> but I never found out from anyone if it is CSR like both of these
> manufacturers have used in the past. Does anyone have either of these
> adapters?
>
> Does anyone else think something is going on with CSR adoption rates?
> Vendors seem to have ignored bluecore4 and waited for broadcom edr to
> show up before going to bluetooth 2.0. Even those that were using
> bluecore2 before, like belkin, did this...
>
> Brad
>
> > I currently have an IOGear Broadcom-based dongle because I didnt know
> > what to look for. Now that I know my only real chance of SCO working
> > with linux is a CSR chipset.... well, I want one. I was reading the
> > archives of this mailing list and saw that the suggestion was to get a
> > Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support. However, it isn't
> > looking like I can get hold of one in the USA. Any other suggestions?
> >
> > -Joe

by Brad Midgley

Joseph

fwiw, I've been shopping around too, but I'm also looking for class 1.
The best candidates for edr, class 1 csr...

Zonet ZUB6201C:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130026

And bluetake bt007ex:

http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=176

but I never found out from anyone if it is CSR like both of these
manufacturers have used in the past. Does anyone have either of these
adapters?

Does anyone else think something is going on with CSR adoption rates?
Vendors seem to have ignored bluecore4 and waited for broadcom edr to
show up before going to bluetooth 2.0. Even those that were using
bluecore2 before, like belkin, did this...

Brad

> I currently have an IOGear Broadcom-based dongle because I didnt know
> what to look for. Now that I know my only real chance of SCO working
> with linux is a CSR chipset.... well, I want one. I was reading the
> archives of this mailing list and saw that the suggestion was to get a
> Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support. However, it isn't
> looking like I can get hold of one in the USA. Any other suggestions?
>
> -Joe

by Brad Midgley

Niv

> 1. Well, according to this thread the only SCR adaptor that is >=V 1.2
> are V. 2 adaptors.

There are 1.2 adapters out there but it's best to find a v2 adapter if
you're buying new. Apple sells a d-link with 1.2 iirc.

> 2. Do you have a pair of headphnes? which?

I have iphono mini right now. I've used and developed with hp, iTech,
and iphono "non-mini" in the past.

> If they are the logitech / HP - how did you reinforce the plastic strap
> from braking up?

I lent out my set but I haven't heard of this problem.

> Did you see any V.2 headphones?

no. bluespoon may come out with a class 1 headset for better range but
no one is talking about v2.

> Do they give better quality?

I would say v2 would not be a significant improvement in headset
operation, but it would improve battery life and allow for better
throughput overall in the piconet.

Brad

by Niv

Dear Brad,

Brad Midgley wrote:

>Niv
>

>>As far as I read the V.w Bus is 12 Mb, which is way more then the 0.7M
>>the V.1 offers
>>
>>does that mean I can use a V.2 adaptor to stream A2DP while using the
>>earpeace and mouse - without hearing braek-ups in the headphones?
>>
>>I currently get brake-ups if I run the proximity script during A2DP
>>playback.
>>
>>gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Bluetooth_Proximity_Monitor
>>

>you won't have breaks in the audio because of the usb bandwidth. You're
> likely to have breaks when...
>
>- you have a scatternet--because one device has to switch between master
>and slave
>
>- you run wifi traffic alongside a pre-bt1.2 adapter
>
>- you use a timer other than rtc
>
>- you run the rtc timer on a machine with nvidia drivers
>
>- you hijack the radio with a proximity scan or any other paging activity :)
>
>bluetooth v2 is unlikely to help with proximity scanning. the real
>problem is the bluetooth radio can only be on one frequency at a time
>and the proximity scan needs to take it over briefly to check each
>frequency.
>
>Brad

by Brad Midgley

Niv

> As far as I read the V.w Bus is 12 Mb, which is way more then the 0.7M
> the V.1 offers
>
> does that mean I can use a V.2 adaptor to stream A2DP while using the
> earpeace and mouse - without hearing braek-ups in the headphones?
>
> I currently get brake-ups if I run the proximity script during A2DP
> playback.
>
> gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Bluetooth_Proximity_Monitor

you won't have breaks in the audio because of the usb bandwidth. You're
likely to have breaks when...

- you have a scatternet--because one device has to switch between master
and slave

- you run wifi traffic alongside a pre-bt1.2 adapter

- you use a timer other than rtc

- you run the rtc timer on a machine with nvidia drivers

- you hijack the radio with a proximity scan or any other paging activity :)

bluetooth v2 is unlikely to help with proximity scanning. the real
problem is the bluetooth radio can only be on one frequency at a time
and the proximity scan needs to take it over briefly to check each
frequency.

Brad

by Niv

Oh ya,

Brad Midgley wrote:

>Niv
>

>>that is way my next dongle would be V.2
>>with CSR
>>

>I don't know about availability in Israel, but Bluetake BT007EX is the
>best dongle we've come across... it also has 128-bit encryption in the
>shipping firmware. It is class 1 even though this page doesn't say:
>
>http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?products_id=176
>
>brad

by Niv

the level one V.2 sells at 30$ which is a decent price

Thanks

Brad Midgley wrote:

>Niv
>

>>that is way my next dongle would be V.2
>>with CSR
>>

>I don't know about availability in Israel, but Bluetake BT007EX is the
>best dongle we've come across... it also has 128-bit encryption in the
>shipping firmware. It is class 1 even though this page doesn't say:
>
>http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?products_id=176
>
>brad

by Brad Midgley

Niv

> that is way my next dongle would be V.2
> with CSR

I don't know about availability in Israel, but Bluetake BT007EX is the
best dongle we've come across... it also has 128-bit encryption in the
shipping firmware. It is class 1 even though this page doesn't say:

http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?products_id=176

brad

by Niv

zonet zub6100 BT V1.1 - CSR
zonet (forgot the module) BT V1.2 Broadcomm

billonton BT V1.1 = CSR
I guess the 1.2 - broadcomm

Brad Midgley wrote:

>Jeff
>
>You could probably get something on Marcel's list from one of the UK
>retailers if you don't mind paying more... I am hoping to come across a
>domestic offering that is easy to recommend.
>
>Neither zonet nor bluetake have replied to emails asking what is in
>there. There's got to be someone with these who could check :(
>
>I do know that the mainstream offerings: belkin, kensington, iogear are
>not using CSR.
>
>Brad
>

>>I'm also in the market for USB adapters (in the US). Any advice for
>>which have CSR chipsets? Am I reading you right -- are you saying
>>that bluecore4 is not yet available in a USB dongle? That's too bad.
>>What about other form factors? PCI? PCMCIA?
>>
>>Patrick, do you know if Epox is available to the US market?
>>
>> thanks,
>> jw
>>

>>On 1/23/06, Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Joseph
>>>
>>>fwiw, I've been shopping around too, but I'm also looking for class 1.
>>>The best candidates for edr, class 1 csr...
>>>
>>>Zonet ZUB6201C:
>>>
>>>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833130026
>>>
>>>And bluetake bt007ex:
>>>
>>>http://www.btboutique.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=176
>>>
>>>but I never found out from anyone if it is CSR like both of these
>>>manufacturers have used in the past. Does anyone have either of these
>>>adapters?
>>>
>>>Does anyone else think something is going on with CSR adoption rates?
>>>Vendors seem to have ignored bluecore4 and waited for broadcom edr to
>>>show up before going to bluetooth 2.0. Even those that were using
>>>bluecore2 before, like belkin, did this...
>>>
>>>Brad

by Brad Midgley

Joe

I am going to order a bluetake bt007ex today. It seems that it is using
bluecore4 (CSR). No, bluetake has not gotten back to me on this simple
question, but the software installer is "Toshiba bluetooth stack for
windows by CSR"

http://www.bluetake.com/Manuals/BT007Ex/BT007Ex_QSG_EN.pdf

sheesh. I'll let you know what shows up...

Brad

by Brad Midgley

Joe

I'm glad you got through to zonet.

I got a "generic" class 1 bt1.1 or maybe 1.2 adapter a while back from
compusa that was csr based. Sadly for us, CSR used to be more common and
it's become less so.

Brad

by Joseph Dunn

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:57:01 -0700
Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:

> Neither zonet nor bluetake have replied to emails asking what is in
> there. There's got to be someone with these who could check :(
I guess they just don't like you =). Seriously though, bad news from
Zonet tech support:

Hi,
The ZUB6201C uses the Broadcom chipset.

Zonet Tech Support
email: [email protected]
Zonet USA Corp.

> I do know that the mainstream offerings: belkin, kensington, iogear are
> not using CSR.
Now we know Zonet's newest is also not CSR based. I'm still looking
for a Bluetooth 1.2 (or 2.0) class 1 dongle that I can use with bluez
and my 3com headset. Anyone, anyone? Are those crickets I hear in the
distance?

> Brad
-Joe