2006-05-17 22:19:29

by Peter McClure

Subject: [Bluez-users] Linux control of bluetooth radio

I have a dual-boot (WinXP and Mandriva w/ 2.6.14) Dell
M70 laptop with an internal Bluetooth daughter card.
It would seem that I can use WinXP to disable the
radio on the Bluetooth card. When I then boot into
Linux, the BT card is detected and hci0 is initialised
but Bluetooth doesn't work.

Is there a way to turn the BT radio on and off under
Linux ? (hciconfig up/down and reloading the kernel
module doesn't seem to work and there's no /proc
interface)

Thanks
Peter

by Jeff Wilson

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Linux control of bluetooth radio

On 5/29/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> > I have a dual-boot (WinXP and Mandriva w/ 2.6.14) Dell
> > M70 laptop with an internal Bluetooth daughter card.
> > It would seem that I can use WinXP to disable the
> > radio on the Bluetooth card. When I then boot into
> > Linux, the BT card is detected and hci0 is initialised
> > but Bluetooth doesn't work.
> >
> > Is there a way to turn the BT radio on and off under
> > Linux ? (hciconfig up/down and reloading the kernel
> > module doesn't seem to work and there's no /proc
> > interface)
>
> check /proc/bus/usb/devices if the Bluetooth is present there. Otherwise
> you need to find the switch to activate Bluetooth with a Dell laptop. I
> don't have a Dell machine, so I don't know what's the magic trick.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

On my Dell Latitude D810 (embedded CSR BlueCore4) the magic trick is
Fn-F2 to toggle the radio for both the 802.11 wi-fi *and* the embedded
Bluetooth. Sadly, because my workplace paid for the laptop, I do not
yet have Linux on the 810 so I don't know if that keystroke is
interpreted by software drivers or hardware. My 810 has a wi-fi LED
and a Bluetooth LED that match the toggled state of the radio.

There may also be something in the BIOS, I'll try to check that on the
next reboot and post what I find.

hth,
jw

by Marcel Holtmann