2005-01-24 16:06:23

by George News

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluez BNEP connection close

Hi all.

I'm facing a problem using the Bluez stack for linux and I don't know the
reason and how to solve it.
I'm using the PAN environment, using the BNEP over L2CAP. I'm using kernel
2.4.28-mh1 and bluez-libs-2.10 and bluez-utils-2.10.

I manage to get both devices connected and running a ping over it. However
when I do some web browsing a problem appear (also if doing an FTP or
whatever thing).
When the amount of traffic through the connection increase, the connection
shut down without any reason.

Any idea of why when stressing the connection by transferring big amount of
data it closes.

TA.

by George News

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluez BNEP connection close

Hi again...

With the PCMCIA card is much more stable. For the moment it only has
crashed one or twice when stressing the channel throughput.

Thanks for all the help.

Regards

At 13:32 25/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>> In my code I have a reconnection capability once the bnep connection
>> disappears.
>> However doing some more tests I found that sometimes the interface
bnep0 is
>> still there (in the laptop) although there is no connectivity.
>> I mean, the interface exists but the channel or path is not more up.
>> Therefore my reconnection capability doesn't work on this case.
>
>this is maybe a bug or a little race in the code. Include more details
>and actually are way to reproduce it.
>
>> So... don't know what could happen. I have recompiled the kernel serveral
>> times changing the UCHI, OHCI and EHCI supports but still happens the
same..

>Recompiling the kernel doesn't help here. You need to exchange the USB
>host controller hardware for checking UHCI, OHCI or EHCI. I always have
>a second PCI USB controller in my system for these tests.
>
>> I'm thinking on buying a PCMCIA Bluetooth card to have a try as Marcel
>> thinks the problem is with the usb.
>
>It is worth testing, but don't ask for the best PCMCIA card. This is
>always another story. In general every card is working, but you must now
>the exact hciattach parameter to make them work.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi George,

> In my code I have a reconnection capability once the bnep connection
> disappears.
> However doing some more tests I found that sometimes the interface bnep0 is
> still there (in the laptop) although there is no connectivity.
> I mean, the interface exists but the channel or path is not more up.
> Therefore my reconnection capability doesn't work on this case.

this is maybe a bug or a little race in the code. Include more details
and actually are way to reproduce it.

> So... don't know what could happen. I have recompiled the kernel serveral
> times changing the UCHI, OHCI and EHCI supports but still happens the same..

Recompiling the kernel doesn't help here. You need to exchange the USB
host controller hardware for checking UHCI, OHCI or EHCI. I always have
a second PCI USB controller in my system for these tests.

> I'm thinking on buying a PCMCIA Bluetooth card to have a try as Marcel
> thinks the problem is with the usb.

It is worth testing, but don't ask for the best PCMCIA card. This is
always another story. In general every card is working, but you must now
the exact hciattach parameter to make them work.

Regards

Marcel

by George News

Hi again.

In my code I have a reconnection capability once the bnep connection
disappears.
However doing some more tests I found that sometimes the interface bnep0 is
still there (in the laptop) although there is no connectivity.
I mean, the interface exists but the channel or path is not more up.
Therefore my reconnection capability doesn't work on this case.

So... don't know what could happen. I have recompiled the kernel serveral
times changing the UCHI, OHCI and EHCI supports but still happens the same..

I'm thinking on buying a PCMCIA Bluetooth card to have a try as Marcel
thinks the problem is with the usb.

Any new Idea?

Sorry for being so insistant but it's a matter of dead or life ;)

Regards

At 19:04 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>> OOpssss ... It wasn't the solution
>>
>> I have remove the SCO totally removed and still facing the same problem.
>> Thanks for your help and sorry for bothering all of you, but I have to
show
>> my application in a short while and I want it to be as stable as possible.
>
>try to swap your UHCI host controller with an OHCI one or move to a 2.6
>kernel. If the USB subsystem is the problem I can't help you.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Michael McConnell

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi George,
>

>>The fact is that I have copy pand code to automate them into my
>>application. My application makes a bridge in order to communicate WIFI and
>>BlueTooth.
>>
>>The traffic is not too much.. when I run a ping -s 50000 it crashes and
>>hangs. The result is that some packets are transmitted correctly while
>>others doesn't.
>>The bnep0 connection disappears and then both ends are no more connected.
>>
>>After happening all that things I have to restart everything as the sdpd
>>and also the bluetooth devices on both ends are hanged.
>>
>>For giving more information, one of the ends is a Sharp Zaurus 5500 and the
>>other is a Laptop using and AnyCom usb dongle
>>
>>By having a look at /var/log/messages I have one messge that is:
>>
>>Kernel: NETDED WATCHDOG: bnep0: transmit timed out
>>
>>and also in other parts
>>
>>Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
>>Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
>>BA:D4:09:EE:02:00
>>Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
>>Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
>>BA:D4:09:EE:02:00
>

> I actually expected to see this kind of messages. Seems like you should
> replace the hardware. What does "hciconfig hci0 version" say about your
> Bluetooth adapters?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

I'm also seeing these issues - and it trips up when I transmit a bit of data
(amount variable :( ) including (but seemingly not limited to) SSH, VNC, FTP
and Samba.

--
-- Michael McConnell
Eridani MailStripper - http://www.eridani.co.uk/MailStripper - SMTP-layer spam filter

by George News

So then the problem is not the Bluez Stack but the USB.

Ok... Thanks very very much for your help... I will try that last thing you
suggest and hope it works ;)

Regards.

At 19:04 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>> OOpssss ... It wasn't the solution
>>
>> I have remove the SCO totally removed and still facing the same problem.
>> Thanks for your help and sorry for bothering all of you, but I have to
show
>> my application in a short while and I want it to be as stable as possible.
>
>try to swap your UHCI host controller with an OHCI one or move to a 2.6
>kernel. If the USB subsystem is the problem I can't help you.
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi George,

> OOpssss ... It wasn't the solution
>
> I have remove the SCO totally removed and still facing the same problem.
> Thanks for your help and sorry for bothering all of you, but I have to show
> my application in a short while and I want it to be as stable as possible.

try to swap your UHCI host controller with an OHCI one or move to a 2.6
kernel. If the USB subsystem is the problem I can't help you.

Regards

Marcel

by George News

OOpssss ... It wasn't the solution

I have remove the SCO totally removed and still facing the same problem.
Thanks for your help and sorry for bothering all of you, but I have to show
my application in a short while and I want it to be as stable as possible.

And my .config for the USB Devices

#
# Bluetooth support
#
CONFIG_BLUEZ=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_L2CAP=y
# CONFIG_BLUEZ_SCO is not set
CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_RFCOMM_TTY=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_BNEP=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_BNEP_MC_FILTER=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_BNEP_PROTO_FILTER=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HIDP=y

#
# Bluetooth device drivers
#
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUSB=y
# CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUSB_SCO is not set
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUART=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUART_H4=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUART_BCSP=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIUART_BCSP_TXCRC=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIBFUSB=y
CONFIG_BLUEZ_HCIVHCI=y

Here it is my /proc/bus/usb/devices

[root@s root]# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
T: Bus=04 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=1860
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 8 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=03 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
B: Alloc= 23/900 us ( 3%), #Int= 1, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=1840
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 8 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=03 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 5 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0a12 ProdID=0001 Rev= 5.25
C:* #Ifs= 3 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=hci_usb
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 64 Ivl=0ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 0 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 0 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 1 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 9 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 9 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 2 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 17 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 17 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 3 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 25 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 25 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 4 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 33 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 33 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 5 #EPs= 2 Cls=e0(unk. ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=03(O) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 49 Ivl=1ms
E: Ad=83(I) Atr=01(Isoc) MxPS= 49 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 2 Alt= 0 #EPs= 0 Cls=fe(app. ) Sub=01 Prot=00 Driver=(none)
T: Bus=02 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=12 MxCh= 2
B: Alloc= 0/900 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 1.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 0.00
S: Product=USB UHCI-alt Root Hub
S: SerialNumber=1820
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 8 Ivl=255ms
T: Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#= 1 Spd=480 MxCh= 6
B: Alloc= 0/800 us ( 0%), #Int= 0, #Iso= 0
D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0000 ProdID=0000 Rev= 2.04
S: Manufacturer=Linux 2.4.28-mh1 ehci_hcd
S: Product=Intel Corp. 82801DB USB2
S: SerialNumber=00:1d.7
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=40 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 2 Ivl=256ms

At 18:33 24/01/2005, George wrote:
>At 17:47 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>
> >is the SCO support for the hci_usb driver compiled in? Maybe this takes
> >away the USB bandwidth and this can result in troubles with a 2.4 kernel
> >and its USB subsystem. With a 2.6 kernel you can disable this with the
> >module parameter isoc, but I doubt that this is possible with a 2.4
> >kernel.
>
>Great... I have the SCO support compiled. So you recommend that I remove
it???

>I will do so and hope it works ;)
>
>Let you know in a while ;)
>
>REgards.
>

> >Regards
> >
> >Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi George,

> >is the SCO support for the hci_usb driver compiled in? Maybe this takes
> >away the USB bandwidth and this can result in troubles with a 2.4 kernel
> >and its USB subsystem. With a 2.6 kernel you can disable this with the
> >module parameter isoc, but I doubt that this is possible with a 2.4
> >kernel.
>
> Great... I have the SCO support compiled. So you recommend that I remove it???
>
> I will do so and hope it works ;)

you don't need to remove the general SCO support, but need to deactivate
the checkbox for SCO support in the hci_usb driver. Take a look at the
file /proc/bus/usb/devices and see if the ISOC endpoints are claimed.

Regards

Marcel

by George News

At 17:47 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>is the SCO support for the hci_usb driver compiled in? Maybe this takes
>away the USB bandwidth and this can result in troubles with a 2.4 kernel
>and its USB subsystem. With a 2.6 kernel you can disable this with the
>module parameter isoc, but I doubt that this is possible with a 2.4
>kernel.

Great... I have the SCO support compiled. So you recommend that I remove it???

I will do so and hope it works ;)

Let you know in a while ;)

REgards.

>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi George,

At 17:23 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>I actually expected to see this kind of messages. Seems like you should
>replace the hardware. What does "hciconfig hci0 version" say about your
>Bluetooth adapters?

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:02:72:00:D4:29 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x20d
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

Thanks.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi George,

> The fact is that I have copy pand code to automate them into my
> application. My application makes a bridge in order to communicate WIFI and
> BlueTooth.
>
> The traffic is not too much.. when I run a ping -s 50000 it crashes and
> hangs. The result is that some packets are transmitted correctly while
> others doesn't.
> The bnep0 connection disappears and then both ends are no more connected.
>
> After happening all that things I have to restart everything as the sdpd
> and also the bluetooth devices on both ends are hanged.
>
> For giving more information, one of the ends is a Sharp Zaurus 5500 and the
> other is a Laptop using and AnyCom usb dongle
>
> By having a look at /var/log/messages I have one messge that is:
>
> Kernel: NETDED WATCHDOG: bnep0: transmit timed out
>
> and also in other parts
>
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
> BA:D4:09:EE:02:00
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
> BA:D4:09:EE:02:00

I actually expected to see this kind of messages. Seems like you should
replace the hardware. What does "hciconfig hci0 version" say about your
Bluetooth adapters?

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Send us your code (you used GPL code :)) and maybe we'll find way to fix it.

Michal

Dne po 24. ledna 2005 17:46 George napsal(a):
> Hello.
>
> The fact is that I have copy pand code to automate them into my
> application. My application makes a bridge in order to communicate WIFI and
> BlueTooth.
>
> The traffic is not too much.. when I run a ping -s 50000 it crashes and
> hangs. The result is that some packets are transmitted correctly while
> others doesn't.
> The bnep0 connection disappears and then both ends are no more connected.
>
> After happening all that things I have to restart everything as the sdpd
> and also the bluetooth devices on both ends are hanged.
>
> For giving more information, one of the ends is a Sharp Zaurus 5500 and the
> other is a Laptop using and AnyCom usb dongle
>
> By having a look at /var/log/messages I have one messge that is:
>
> Kernel: NETDED WATCHDOG: bnep0: transmit timed out
>
> and also in other parts
>
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
> BA:D4:09:EE:02:00
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
> Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
> BA:D4:09:EE:02:00
>

> TA.
>
> At 16:49 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> >Hi George,
> >
> >> I'm facing a problem using the Bluez stack for linux and I don't know
> >> the reason and how to solve it.
> >> I'm using the PAN environment, using the BNEP over L2CAP. I'm using
> >> kernel 2.4.28-mh1 and bluez-libs-2.10 and bluez-utils-2.10.
> >>
> >> I manage to get both devices connected and running a ping over it.
> >> However when I do some web browsing a problem appear (also if doing an
> >> FTP or whatever thing).
> >> When the amount of traffic through the connection increase, the
> >> connection shut down without any reason.
> >>
> >> Any idea of why when stressing the connection by transferring big
>
> amount of
>
> >> data it closes.
> >
> >check the syslog or dmesg for any error messages when this happens. I
> >never had problems with big amount of data over BNEP. Btw about how much
> >data are we talking?
> >
> >Regards
> >
> >Marcel

S pozdravem

Michal Semler

by George News

Hello.

The fact is that I have copy pand code to automate them into my
application. My application makes a bridge in order to communicate WIFI and
BlueTooth.

The traffic is not too much.. when I run a ping -s 50000 it crashes and
hangs. The result is that some packets are transmitted correctly while
others doesn't.
The bnep0 connection disappears and then both ends are no more connected.

After happening all that things I have to restart everything as the sdpd
and also the bluetooth devices on both ends are hanged.

For giving more information, one of the ends is a Sharp Zaurus 5500 and the
other is a Laptop using and AnyCom usb dongle

By having a look at /var/log/messages I have one messge that is:

Kernel: NETDED WATCHDOG: bnep0: transmit timed out

and also in other parts

Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
BA:D4:09:EE:02:00
Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
Jan 24 17:14:35 kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL connection
BA:D4:09:EE:02:00

TA.

At 16:49 24/01/2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>Hi George,
>
>> I'm facing a problem using the Bluez stack for linux and I don't know the
>> reason and how to solve it.
>> I'm using the PAN environment, using the BNEP over L2CAP. I'm using kernel
>> 2.4.28-mh1 and bluez-libs-2.10 and bluez-utils-2.10.
>>
>> I manage to get both devices connected and running a ping over it. However
>> when I do some web browsing a problem appear (also if doing an FTP or
>> whatever thing).
>> When the amount of traffic through the connection increase, the connection
>> shut down without any reason.
>>
>> Any idea of why when stressing the connection by transferring big
amount of
>> data it closes.
>
>check the syslog or dmesg for any error messages when this happens. I
>never had problems with big amount of data over BNEP. Btw about how much
>data are we talking?
>
>Regards
>
>Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann