2004-01-22 17:21:40

by [email protected]

Subject: [Bluez-users] Pairing to devices with bluez and widcomm with same adapter

Someone has managed how to pair with both stacks, with the same pc/adapter?
The problem seems to be the fact that when paired, the devices exchange a
link key
that bluez/hcid save in /etc/bluetooth/link_key.
When widcomm try to pair, it exchange another link_key, because it didn't
find
a key in his database, which is returned different with the one exchanged
from
bluez stack.

I'm wondering of it is possible to changhe the bdaddr of the bt adapter, so
the
remote device saves the keys for two different devices, but I didn't find
anything
for this 'solution'.

Another possibility may be the synchronization of the keys between the two
stacks,
but I don't know how to xtract them..

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Nosve,

> I don't want to be pedantic, but the question is how to store the link key
> in the chip, I must use hcitool to send some form of commands? Or maybe
> there are some documented possibilities which I have not found?

the support for stored link keys is not very good. You must write it by
your own. The code of the new library also have no tool for it at the
moment, but the API call is there.

> Even from the other thread I don't understand if maybe we must hope there is
> a possibility to save the link key with widcomm stack.

If the link key is stored on the chip, the host stack don't have to do
anything. All authentication stuff will be handled by the link manager.

Regards

Marcel

by [email protected]

Hi Marcel

I don't want to be pedantic, but the question is how to store the link key
in the chip, I must use hcitool to send some form of commands? Or maybe
there are some documented possibilities which I have not found?
Even from the other thread I don't understand if maybe we must hope there is
a possibility to save the link key with widcomm stack.

Thanks for your patience

2004-01-23 13:38:56

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Nosve,

> Just a thing I forgot, when I have to delete the link key for the explained
> things,
> hcid doesn't matter about it, maybe it buffers the keys only at startup,
> neither with a kill -HUP, which seems however intercepted. The only option
> is to
> restart hcid.

the new security manager will have a real database backend and will be
capable of handling such scenarios, but by now this is the only way.

> As for regards the other thread tha discuss the possibility of storing the
> link
> key in bt adapter, I understand that the possibility to do that has to be
> investigated from widcomm? Or from the manufacturer of the adapter, with
> hci arbitrary commands to send to the adapter?

You only have to store the link key once on the chip and you never have
to care about the authentication procedure again. Decide by yourself
what place is safer. The dongle or your harddisk.

Regards

Marcel

by [email protected]

Hi Marcel,

[blah blah]

> it is possible to change the BD_ADDR, but only with vendor commands.
>
> The only solution for your problem is storing the link key on your
> Bluetooth chip. This was already discussed, so take a look at the
> mailing list archive.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Just a thing I forgot, when I have to delete the link key for the explained
things,
hcid doesn't matter about it, maybe it buffers the keys only at startup,
neither with a kill -HUP, which seems however intercepted. The only option
is to
restart hcid.

I reported this, because the pairing behaviour may be confusing for
people who uses the bt adapter in 'mixed' environment.

As for regards the other thread tha discuss the possibility of storing the
link
key in bt adapter, I understand that the possibility to do that has to be
investigated from widcomm? Or from the manufacturer of the adapter, with
hci arbitrary commands to send to the adapter?

Regards, and thanks for the good job

Nosve

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Nosve,