2004-06-06 23:24:03

by EXT-Somil.Asthana

Subject: RE: [Bluez-users] Can you spoof/forge Bluetooth Devices/Address?

Hi Marcel,=20
Why not use PAN profile instead of RFCOMM. We create an IP =
infrastructure (using Ethernet Bridging) route (or broadcast) packets =
between devices. If some BTH devices donot support PAN profile we can =
make devices attached to them as proxies. The adv of using PAN profile =
is that it can easily attached to IP back bone and this proj requires =
that (although it can result in some addressing issues). I am not sure =
if this is what David wants but you are correct there is no need to =
spoof addresses or try getting the raw BTH packets etc.

regards
Somil
-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of ext Marcel
Holtmann
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2004 5:11 PM
To: David Mackie
Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Can you spoof/forge Bluetooth
Devices/Address?

Hi David,

> Does anyone know if you are able to spoof or forge a Bluetooth Device
> Address? I am wanting to pick up Bluetooth comms at one point and =
forward it
> on to another device but I am wanting the repeating devices to act =
like the
> original sending devices. Eg. If I have a phone that wants to =
communicate
> with my PC, I can have 2 repeaters, one spoofed as the PC and one as =
the
> phone.
>=20
> phone <-BT-> Repeater(spoof PC) <-Not BT-> Repeater(spoof phone) =
<-BT-> PC
>=20
> More information on why I want to do this can be found at
> http://www.cs.ru.ac.za/research/students/g99m0302/masters/
>=20
> Any comment of suggestions will be greatly appreciated

I made a quick look through your documents. Spoofing of a BD_ADDR's is
not what you really want and of course it is also not possible. You
should think more of service forwarding. This means tunneling of the
complete L2CAP layer or dedicated SDP service records/RFCOMM channel
tunneling.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Somil,

> Why not use PAN profile instead of RFCOMM. We create an IP infrastructure (using Ethernet Bridging) route (or broadcast) packets between devices. If some BTH devices donot support PAN profile we can make devices attached to them as proxies. The adv of using PAN profile is that it can easily attached to IP back bone and this proj requires that (although it can result in some addressing issues). I am not sure if this is what David wants but you are correct there is no need to spoof addresses or try getting the raw BTH packets etc.

I haven't read his documents in detail, but as I understand it he want's
to connect from a PC in one piconet to a mobile phone in another
piconet. These piconets are connected through an IP backbone and not via
a scatternet. So he must make the SPD records of the phone visible in
both piconets and if needed route a L2CAP or RFCOMM connection between
them. However it is his master thesis and not mine.

Regards

Marcel