2005-06-01 21:33:33

by Pering, Trevor

Subject: [Bluez-users] Linking to BlueZ from non-GPL code

Hello -- I have a question about linking non-GPL code to BlueZ. This is
very much along the lines of the previous conversation at=20
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.bluez.devel/2444 -- the quick
summary of which is:=20
=20
Marcel: Date: 2004-06-28 14:48:48 GMT: "For the BlueZ library and the
utilities we can talk about it. Some time ago people asked for a LGPL
version of the library and actually I tend to agree with that. However
this can't be decided by me alone, because part of the code is copyright
by Qualcomm and also by Maxim Krasnyansky himself. For the utilities I
don't see any need for a different license. I believe in the GPL and
from my view releasing the Linux Bluetooth library under LGPL is the
only step I wanna make forward to allow closed source products based on
BlueZ."

Is this still the current status of GPL/LGPL for the BlueZ libraries
(libbluetooth.so) -- or has there been an update (I haven't found
anything more recent on the mailing list about this).

What is the recommended way to write a non-GPL application on top of
BlueZ, or is this not currently allowed...? My understanding is that it
is OK to use the linux kernel syscall interface from non-GPL code, but
that this would not extend to libbluetooth.so...

Cheers,
Trevor

by Nils Faerber