2005-06-01 23:43:19

by Pering, Trevor

Subject: RE: [Bluez-users] Linking to BlueZ from non-GPL code

Ok, then it sounds like we (me and the lawyers and you) are all in
agreement -- what it comes down to is the source of the *.h files. If
they come from the kernel (which wouldn't make sense for BlueZ), then
things would be ok. However, trying to use BlueZ user-level *.h files
with not-GPL would not be allowed. (I'm just reiterating this for the
benefit of clarity and consensus).

Cheers,
Trevor

=20

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Marcel
Holtmann
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 3:48 PM
To: [email protected]

Hi Trevor,

> As for the non-GPL use of the kernel, I was referring to: (from
> http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/COPYING)
>=20
> "NOTE! This copyright does *not* cover user programs that use kernel
> services by normal system calls - this is merely considered normal
use
> of the kernel, and does *not* fall under the heading of "derived
work".
> Also note that the GPL below is copyrighted by the Free Software
> Foundation, but the instance of code that it refers to (the linux
> kernel) is copyrighted by me and others who actually wrote it."
>=20
> But I'm not sure if by "disagree" you meant disagree with the
> interpretation, or the intent behind it... I have been advised by our
> lawyers that this does allow simple use of *.h files to include kernel
> constants and things like that -- but would not extend to user-land
> libraries.

from my interpretation this is only ok if the include files are under
LGPL. This is normally done by having extra include files for the
userspace. Remember that we don't include kernel headers from userspace
programs. If you include *.h files that are under GPL then your program
becomes GPL, because you include GPL code. In the case of BlueZ you
can't include the kernel header files, because they are not compatible.
So you need to use the *.h files from bluez-libs and these are GPL. This
means you have to rewrite them from scratch and from my view this is not
possible, because you will create derived work. However I am not a
lawyer and if you think (or your lawyer do) you are safe then go ahead,
but done blame me afterwards that I haven't warned you.

And btw don't get me wrong. I will try to make the BlueZ library LGPL as
soon as I got the permission from Qualcomm. Without it we don't really
need to think or talk about it.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Marco,

> > but a technical solution is to write a
> > GPL shim that links with -lbluetooth and that you use via APIs across
> > which the GPL is not required to hold. Again, talk to your lawyer.
>
> can you explain that further? as I understand it:
> write an own library that includes the bluez .h files and links agains
> -lbluetooth
> -> so the own library has to be gpl too
> include the own library (.h file(s)) in the not gpl program
> but because the own library is gpl and you include it again, you program
> still has to be gpl, right?
> the only difference is that you haven't to link against -lbluetooth. but
> the header files are gpl too.

you go through a self defined Unix Socket API or D-Bus API. Then you
only have to make the shim layer (the daemon) available under GPL.

Regards

Marcel

by Marco Trudel

Brad Midgley wrote:
> Trevor
>
> I usually try to stay out of this

why? You might be helpful... Don't hesitate, share your knowledge.

> but a technical solution is to write a
> GPL shim that links with -lbluetooth and that you use via APIs across
> which the GPL is not required to hold. Again, talk to your lawyer.

can you explain that further? as I understand it:
write an own library that includes the bluez .h files and links agains
-lbluetooth
-> so the own library has to be gpl too
include the own library (.h file(s)) in the not gpl program
but because the own library is gpl and you include it again, you program
still has to be gpl, right?
the only difference is that you haven't to link against -lbluetooth. but
the header files are gpl too.

sorry if I got this wrong.

regards
Marco

> Brad
>
> Pering, Trevor wrote:
>
>> Ok, then it sounds like we (me and the lawyers and you) are all in
>> agreement -- what it comes down to is the source of the *.h files. If
>> they come from the kernel (which wouldn't make sense for BlueZ), then
>> things would be ok. However, trying to use BlueZ user-level *.h files
>> with not-GPL would not be allowed. (I'm just reiterating this for the
>> benefit of clarity and consensus).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Trevor

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Trevor,

> Ok, then it sounds like we (me and the lawyers and you) are all in
> agreement -- what it comes down to is the source of the *.h files. If
> they come from the kernel (which wouldn't make sense for BlueZ), then
> things would be ok. However, trying to use BlueZ user-level *.h files
> with not-GPL would not be allowed. (I'm just reiterating this for the
> benefit of clarity and consensus).

for the kernel header files this is not clear to me, because Linus only
stated the exception for system calls and not any actual code. I have
seen people argumenting into both directions and since the BlueZ kernel
include files are no use for userspace programs, I won't take any of the
positions.

For the *.h files from bluez-libs the GPL is the current state and thus
any program using them will be GPL.

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Trevor

I usually try to stay out of this but a technical solution is to write a