2006-04-17 14:41:57

by Mahtab Hossain

Subject: [Bluez-users] BlueWiFly

Dear Users,

Does anybody use this solution from SunCore supporting both bluetooth and Wi-Fi in a single bluetooth USB dongle (Bluetooth v1.2 + 802.11g)?
http://www.suncore.com.tw/bluewifly%20introduction.htm

It comes with support for Microsoft only. I think I certainly need a driver for Wi-Fi to make this work in Linux (Microsoft also uses the driver provided by the manufacturers). But for bluetooth, some reviews say, Microsoft built-in stack can also drive it (regardless of the driver porvided by BlueWiFLy). So I am presuming BlueZ can do the same.

Should there be any issues with module-loading as the USB comes with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support?

It is certainly catchy as it's comparatively cheaper solution than if you are to have both bluetooth and Wi-Fi separately. Any ideas/suggestions/comments will be helpful in this regard as I am considering buying one and trying it also in my Linux box.

Thanks
Mahtab

---------------------------------
Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2?/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

2006-04-17 15:06:00

by Michael McConnell

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] BlueWiFly

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Mahtab,
>
> > Does anybody use this solution from SunCore supporting both bluetooth
> > and Wi-Fi in a single bluetooth USB dongle (Bluetooth v1.2 + 802.11g)?
> > http://www.suncore.com.tw/bluewifly%20introduction.htm
> >
> > It comes with support for Microsoft only. I think I certainly need a
> > driver for Wi-Fi to make this work in Linux (Microsoft also uses the
> > driver provided by the manufacturers). But for bluetooth, some reviews
> > say, Microsoft built-in stack can also drive it (regardless of the
> > driver porvided by BlueWiFLy). So I am presuming BlueZ can do the
> > same.
> >
> > Should there be any issues with module-loading as the USB comes with
> > both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support?
>
> I don't think that you will have any problems with the Bluetooth part of
> this dongle. However the output of /proc/bus/usb/devices always helps to
> identify this dongle.
>
> If the WiFi part is supported by Linux is the more important question,
> because this is always a little bit unclear.

If not natively supported, you may still find the WiFi part of the device
works with ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sf.net). I use that route for both a
Sitecom PCMCIA adaptor and a Belkin USB one.

(I have both because my laptop only has USB1.1 therefore the localnet access
performance is horrendous with the USB adaptor, but when out and about it's
useful to be able to put it on an extension cable to get the best signal
possible.)

-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani Star System

MailStripper - http://mailstripper.eridani.co.uk/ - SMTP spam filter
Mail Me Anywhere - http://www.MailMeAnywhere.com/ - Mobile email

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mahtab,

> Does anybody use this solution from SunCore supporting both bluetooth
> and Wi-Fi in a single bluetooth USB dongle (Bluetooth v1.2 + 802.11g)?
> http://www.suncore.com.tw/bluewifly%20introduction.htm
>
> It comes with support for Microsoft only. I think I certainly need a
> driver for Wi-Fi to make this work in Linux (Microsoft also uses the
> driver provided by the manufacturers). But for bluetooth, some reviews
> say, Microsoft built-in stack can also drive it (regardless of the
> driver porvided by BlueWiFLy). So I am presuming BlueZ can do the
> same.
>
> Should there be any issues with module-loading as the USB comes with
> both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth support?

I don't think that you will have any problems with the Bluetooth part of
this dongle. However the output of /proc/bus/usb/devices always helps to
identify this dongle.

If the WiFi part is supported by Linux is the more important question,
because this is always a little bit unclear.

Regards

Marcel