2005-10-27 09:26:40

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR dongles

Hi Folks,

I spent some time searching and buying Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) capable
dongles and besides the initial Cellink dongle I found some others. It
seems they are out now and you will get two different types. The CSR
based dongles with a BlueCore4 chip and the Broadcom based dongles with
a BCM2045. I started writing up some notes about them and the first
draft can be found at:

http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/edr.html

This is still an early version, but I am trying to put all information
about my dongles there and I am happy if others would contribute, too.

If you find this information useful and like me to keep buying other
dongles then you might wanna donate some money:

http://www.bluez.org/sponsors.html

Most of them were around 25 EUR, but every Cent helps to test out new
hardware.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR dongles

Hi Mitja,

> Well I looked at b-speech page and to my surprise the Level 1 dongle is
> exactly the same, it is only in dark purple housing. I attached a photo,
> even the Bluetooth writing is the same. :) So I think you are right these
> dongles are the same. Is this 19.2 build with 56 bit encryption they have
> the latest one, or is there one later and with 128 bit support?

every official firmware release from CSR is build with 56-bit and with
128-bit encryption. At some point they started to assign different build
ids to these two versions. And in generell the build id for the 128-bit
is +1 of the build id for the 56-bit version.

> Well I will try to run tomorrow in day light to see if it is really class
> 1 dongle. :)

Open it and see what antenna is inside. If it is a printed one then I
doubt that you will reach 100 meters. However give it a try.

> Allright I will send you one, as you said one more doesn't hurt. :)

Cool. Thanks.

Regards

Marcel

by Mitja Pufic

Hello Marcel, again :)

Well I looked at b-speech page and to my surprise the Level 1 dongle is
exactly the same, it is only in dark purple housing. I attached a photo,
even the Bluetooth writing is the same. :) So I think you are right these
dongles are the same. Is this 19.2 build with 56 bit encryption they have
the latest one, or is there one later and with 128 bit support?

Well I will try to run tomorrow in day light to see if it is really class
1 dongle. :)

Allright I will send you one, as you said one more doesn't hurt. :)

Take care,

Mitja

Attachments:
MDU-0025USB.jpg (23.56 kB)

2005-10-29 17:04:53

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mitja,

> Yes I noticed that it has the same info as B-Speech, isn't that wierd, or
> is this common paractice? The first thing when unpacked, I looked at the
> encryption level and was very disappointed when hciconfig showed only
> 56 bit. :( Would it be possible to flash it with B-Speech fw, if they
> release it sonner than Level1?

this is common practice. One company manufactures them and another one
only puts its own label on it. I think that the current firmware on the
Level1 and B-Speech is exactly the same (including the boot loader). So
it should be possible to flash the B-Speech firmware into it. I flashed
the B-Speech already with a different firmware image. The flash the use
is much better than the flash inside the Cellink dongle. It is like when
I use my Casira.

> Ehm is there any more elegant way to test if this is realy a class 1 dongle,
> then to run 100m away from access point?:)

Not that I know of.

> Would you be interested in one of these? On next cash inflow I plan to
> buy myself one more and if you are interested I can donate one to you.

I think that I already ordered one for me on eBay, but a second wouldn't
be bad if I flash that one to "death" ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Mitja Pufic

Hello Marcel,

Yes I noticed that it has the same info as B-Speech, isn't that wierd, or
is this common paractice? The first thing when unpacked, I looked at the
encryption level and was very disappointed when hciconfig showed only
56 bit. :( Would it be possible to flash it with B-Speech fw, if they
release it sonner than Level1?

Ehm is there any more elegant way to test if this is realy a class 1 dongle,
then to run 100m away from access point?:)

Would you be interested in one of these? On next cash inflow I plan to
buy myself one more and if you are interested I can donate one to you.

Best regards,
Mitja

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005, Marcel Holtmann wrote:

> Hi Mitja,
>
> > I attached them as text, hope it is ok.
>
> it seems that the Level1 dongle is the same as the B-Speech dongle. The
> information for both are now online. Thanks.
>
> More funny is that Level1 claims to support 128-bit, but the firmware on
> their dongle definitely don't support it. Hopefully they will fix this
> soon and provide a real 128-bit firmware.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mitja,

> I attached them as text, hope it is ok.

it seems that the Level1 dongle is the same as the B-Speech dongle. The
information for both are now online. Thanks.

More funny is that Level1 claims to support 128-bit, but the firmware on
their dongle definitely don't support it. Hopefully they will fix this
soon and provide a real 128-bit firmware.

Regards

Marcel

by Mitja Pufic

Hello Marcel,

I attached them as text, hope it is ok.

Regards,

Mitja

> Hi Mitja,
>
> > Do you need any more info on Level1 MDU-0025USB dongle for your list?
>
> send in the information.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

proc.usb (1.42 kB)
hciconfig (5.29 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Mitja,

> Do you need any more info on Level1 MDU-0025USB dongle for your list?

send in the information.

Regards

Marcel

by Mitja Pufic

Hello Marcel,

Do you need any more info on Level1 MDU-0025USB dongle for your list?

regards, Mitja