2006-04-01 18:45:27

by Geoff Shang

Subject: [Bluez-users] Solved (was Re: Bluetooth: pand: Connection failed. File exists(17))

Geoff Shang wrote:

> When I try to connect from the panu, I get the following:
>
> Mar 10 18:35:46 data pand[16077]: Connection failed. File exists(17)

This was a case of brain failure on my part. I failed to understand that
pand merely instructs the kernel and the hardware, rather than actually
maintain the connections. This is unlike PPPd, for example. So a PAN
connection will remain even if PANd is shut down.

The reason why I was getting the error is that I was trying to create a
connection that already existed. I was able to verify this with "pand -l".

I admit that the somewhat unhelpful error message had me chasing red
herrings for awhile.

Thanks to those of you who, through your suggestions, nudged me in the
right direction.

Geoff.

by Alexandre Coser Monteiro

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] sniff & pand

Thank you for your attention Steven.

With a detailed eye in my sniff command line, I agree whith you that I introduce wrong
parameters, but I still doesn`t understand why a pand connection doesn`t accept my sniff
command line after my correction.
I`ve been introduced the sniff commando through the linux shell using hcitool

[root@helio script]# hcitool cmd 0x02 0x0003 0x00 0x06 0x00 0x8E 0x25 0x8D 0x25 0x62
0x04 0x62 0X04
< HCI Command: ogf 0x02, ocf 0x0003, plen 11
00 06 00 8E 25 8E 24 62 04 62 04
> HCI Event: 0x0f plen 4
02 01 03 08

Sniff Interval = 6 seg.
Sniff Attempt = 0.7 seg.
Connection handle: 0x0006
Sniff Max Interval: 0x258E
Sniff Min Interval: 0x258D
Sniff Attempts: 0x0062
Sniff Timeout: 0x0062

The notation for sniff command line is LSB-MSB ? How can I do sniff work in a pand
connection ?
I work with FedoraCore-3, Linux kernel 2.6.9-1.667smp and a usb bluetooth dongle BT3030
from BroadCom

Sds,
Alexandre

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:02:06 +0100, Steven Singer wrote
> Alexandre Coser Monteiro wrote:
> > < HCI Command: ogf 0x02, ocf 0x0003, plen 9
> > 06 10 00 00 10 FF F7 00 07
> > > HCI Event: 0x0f plen 4
> > 12 01 03 08
>
> The Command Status event shows error code 0x12 = Invalid HCI Command
> Parameters.
>
> This means that the controller didn't like one of the parameters to the
> sniff mode command.
>
> The sniff mode command you gave had the parameters:
>
> Connection handle: 0x1006
> Sniff Max Interval: 0x0000
> Sniff Min Interval: 0xff10
> Sniff Attempts: 0x00f7
> Sniff Timeout: 0x??07
>
> Notes:
>
> The connection handle is invalid. The valid range is 0x0000..0x0eff
>
> The maximum interval is invalid. The valid range is 0x0002..0xfffe
>
> The minimum interval is invalid. The valid range is 0x0002..max
> interval.
>
> The sniff attempts is highly unusual (but not actually invalid).
>
> The sniff timeout field is truncated, it should be two bytes.
>
> So, it's not surprising that the controller is rejecting it.
>
> Where is the sniff mode command being generated? How is it getting
> through the BlueZ APIs to generate such an invalid event? Are the
> normal APIs being bypassed and is a raw command being sent.
>
> - Steven
> --
>
> To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser:
http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

Sds,
Alexandre
Tel.:+55 21 9312-7293

by Steven Singer

Alexandre Coser Monteiro wrote:
> < HCI Command: ogf 0x02, ocf 0x0003, plen 9
> 06 10 00 00 10 FF F7 00 07
> > HCI Event: 0x0f plen 4
> 12 01 03 08

The Command Status event shows error code 0x12 = Invalid HCI Command
Parameters.

This means that the controller didn't like one of the parameters to the
sniff mode command.

The sniff mode command you gave had the parameters:

Connection handle: 0x1006
Sniff Max Interval: 0x0000
Sniff Min Interval: 0xff10
Sniff Attempts: 0x00f7
Sniff Timeout: 0x??07

Notes:

The connection handle is invalid. The valid range is 0x0000..0x0eff

The maximum interval is invalid. The valid range is 0x0002..0xfffe

The minimum interval is invalid. The valid range is 0x0002..max
interval.

The sniff attempts is highly unusual (but not actually invalid).

The sniff timeout field is truncated, it should be two bytes.

So, it's not surprising that the controller is rejecting it.

Where is the sniff mode command being generated? How is it getting
through the BlueZ APIs to generate such an invalid event? Are the
normal APIs being bypassed and is a raw command being sent.

- Steven
--

To access the latest news from CSR copy this link into a web browser: http://www.csr.com/email_sig.php

by Alexandre Coser Monteiro

Subject: [Bluez-users] sniff & pand

Every time I try to command sniff mode at the Slave one, in a connection made by
command <pand -s -c "address"> it failure and give this message :

< HCI Command: ogf 0x02, ocf 0x0003, plen 9
06 10 00 00 10 FF F7 00 07
> HCI Event: 0x0f plen 4
12 01 03 08

hcidump show me this :

< HCI Command: Sniff Mode (0x02|0x0003) plen 9
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4

hciconfig -a show this :
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:03:C9:23:DE:B2 ACL MTU: 377:10 SCO MTU: 16:0
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:954701 acl:264 sco:0 events:100672 errors:0
TX bytes:606650 acl:395 sco:0 commands:100394 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xfd 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: SNIFF
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'Broadcom BCM2033'
Class: 0x000000
Service Classes: Unspecified
Device Class: Miscellaneous,
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x2 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x1007
Manufacturer: Broadcom Corporation (15)

It is impossible to enter in sniff mode by a pand conection ?