2007-01-23 21:19:24

by Raymond Ingles

Subject: [Bluez-users] PAN vs. RFCOMM/PPP speeds?

I've got my Treo 650 connecting to my computer over Bluetooth by
following guides like: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8185

It works and the speed is acceptable. However, from what I understand
it's basically using PPP over RFCOMM over Bluetooth - which seems like
a bit much in terms of overhead - and appears to be limited to
115,200Kbps. I wonder if trying to use a PAN connection (perhaps the
NAP configuration in the PAN HOWTO) would bypass some of the overhead?

I couldn't find anything directly commenting on this. My tinkering
time is limited (three kids, one on the way, etc.) so I'm reluctant to
play with PAN unless I was reasonably sure it would be worth it.

Thanks in advance for any information y'all can provide.