2007-01-31 15:30:15

by Raymond Ingles

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] 'hcitool scan' failing

On 1/30/07, Mahesh T. Pai <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am trying to set up bluetooth networking on two systems running
> debian unstable. One is an i386 and other is running amd64. The
> OS/software is otherwise identical for both systems.

> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System Solution Corp. KY-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter
[...]
> Out put of hciconfig -a is:-
>
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 11:11:11:11:11:11 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 48:10

Here's the corresponding output on my system:

Bus 001 Device 024: ID 1131:1001 Integrated System Solution Corp.
KY-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 11:11:11:11:11:11 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 64:10

Note my BD address is also "11:11:11:11:11:11". These cheap dongles
appear to all have the same BD address. That will cause problems if
two of them are in range of each other; it's similar to having to
Ethernet cards on the same network with the same MAC address. This is
a violation of the Bluetooth spec - those IDs are supposed to be
unique. I suppose you get what you pay for.

If the BD address is the same for both machines, I don't think it's
going to be possible to get them to talk to each other. They should be
able to talk to other devices with other, unique BD addresses, but
they will get seriously confused trying to communicate with each
other.

Some Ethernet cards allow you to change their MAC address; anyone
know of a way to change a dongle's BD address?

by paivakil

"Raymond Ingles" <[email protected]> writes:

> further, I'm still a newbie myself at this. Do you have any other
> bluetooth devices that you can successfully detect with those dongles,
> as a test?

Tested; working with more than one device (both mobiles - one a Sony
Ericsonn, and other a Motorola A920.

I also cannot get to use rfcomm0 or bnep0 interfaces up.

--
Mahesh T. Pai <<>> http://paivakil.blogspot.com/
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure