2007-01-31 18:57:21

by Raymond Ingles

Subject: [Bluez-users] Support for random BT USB dongles?

I've got a Class 2 dongle that works fine with Bluez and I've been
pleased with it. However, I'd like better range and I see some cheap
Class 1 dongles on eBay. My question is, how likely is it that some
random USB dongle will work with Bluez?

How standardized is the interface to such devices? Is it like USB
Mass Storage that works practically anywhere, or is it more
idiosyncratic?

Thanks for any advice you may have...

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Support for random BT USB dongles?

Hi Raymond,

> I've got a Class 2 dongle that works fine with Bluez and I've been
> pleased with it. However, I'd like better range and I see some cheap
> Class 1 dongles on eBay. My question is, how likely is it that some
> random USB dongle will work with Bluez?

it actually will, but I still advise people to get a CSR BlueCore4 based
dongle. They simply still work best.

Regards

Marcel