2007-04-13 19:06:36

by Loreno Oliveira

Subject: [Bluez-users] reducing dongle coverage area

Hi,

is there any way to reduce the coverage area of a bluetooth dongle? That is,
I have a class 2 dongle and I need to make some tests with it. However, the
tests would be quite simpler if I could reduce the range of the device to
about 2 or 4 meters.

Does anyone know how can I do that with bluez, or even if this is possible?

Regards,

Loreno

Attachments:
(No filename) (348.00 B)
(No filename) (377.00 B)
(No filename) (345.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Raymond Ingles

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] reducing dongle coverage area

On 4/19/07, Loreno Oliveira <[email protected]> wrote:

> > is there any way to reduce the coverage area of a bluetooth dongle?

There's only two ways to do that - reduce the transmission power
(which I don't think is possible, but I'm not an expert) or else block
the signal. Anything that blocks Wifi should block Bluetooth, as they
use the same frequency range.

A quick Google for "wifi bluetooth shield" turned up a few things:

http://www.forcefieldwireless.com/products.html
http://www.globalgadgetuk.com/wireless.htm

A more determined search on your part would would probably turn up
more options. Good luck!

by Loreno Oliveira

I?m really sorry the re-post,

but does anyone can give me some direction on this?

Regards,

Loreno

On 4/13/07, Loreno Oliveira <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there any way to reduce the coverage area of a bluetooth dongle? That
> is, I have a class 2 dongle and I need to make some tests with it. However,
> the tests would be quite simpler if I could reduce the range of the device
> to about 2 or 4 meters.
>
> Does anyone know how can I do that with bluez, or even if this is
> possible?
>
> Regards,
>
> Loreno

Attachments: