2007-06-02 16:40:43

by Aldo Maggi

Subject: [Bluez-users] problems with network via bluetooth

my home lan is made up with three desktops.
one of them (GW) has 3 eth cards the first one links to the router
the other 2 connect PC1 and PC2 to GW.
PC1 has 2 eth cards, the first one links it to GW and i use the second
to connect, from time to time, my notebook (NB) to the lan.

recently i have bought 2 bluetooth/usb adapters because i wished to
create a bluetooth net between PC1 and NB

in PC1 i have Ubuntu Gutsy (but i have the problem i'm going to tell
also with Debian Lenny which is installed in PC1 as well) and in the
NB i have Debian Lenny.

the two bluetooth systems see each other:

if i run in the NB: hcitool scan
correctly get:
11:11:11:11:11:11 paperino-0

the same in PC1:
00:15:83:B3:D3:9A paperinik-0

in PC1 in the /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf i have the line:
lm accept,master;

in NB in the same file:
lm accept;

in PC1 i run:
pand --listen --role NAP

in NB i run:
pand --role PANU --persist --search

and i can read in the relevant /var/log/daemon.log the following:
in PC1 - pand: new Connection from 00:15:83:B3:D3:9A bnep0
in NB - pand: Connecting to 11:11:11:11:11:11
pand: bnep0 Connected

then i run
in PC1: ifconfig bnep0 192.168.6.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
in NB: ifconfig bnep0 192.168.6.2 netmask 255.255.255.0

and i can read in the relevant /var/log/daemon.log the following:
in PC1
Jun 2 18:15:59 paperino avahi-daemon[4819]: Joining mDNS multicast
group on interface bnep0.IPv4 with address 192.168.6.1.
Jun 2 18:15:59
paperino avahi-daemon[4819]: New relevant interface bnep0.IPv4 for
mDNS.
Jun 2 18:15:59 paperino avahi-daemon[4819]: Registering new
address record for 192.168.6.1 on bnep0.IPv4.
Jun 2 18:16:00 paperino
avahi-daemon[4819]: Registering new address record for
fe80::1311:11ff:fe11:1111 on bnep0.*.
Jun 2 18:19:53 paperino
ntpd[4885]: Listening on interface #7 bnep0,
fe80::1311:11ff:fe11:1111#123 Enabled
Jun 2 18:19:53 paperino
ntpd[4885]: Listening on interface #8 bnep0, 192.168.6.1#123 Enabled

and in NB
Jun 2 18:17:07 paperinik avahi-daemon[2750]: New relevant interface bnep0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Jun 2 18:17:07 paperinik avahi-daemon[2750]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface bnep0.IPv4 with address 192.168.6.2.
Jun 2 18:17:07 paperinik avahi-daemon[2750]: Registering new address record for 192.168.6.2 on bnep0.

the 192.168.6.0 net on bnep0 is correctly shown by netstat -nr in both
PC1 and NB

but if i do ping from one machine the ip of the other i get Destination
Host Unreachable

where do you think i'm wrong?
thanks

by Aldo Maggi

Il Mon, 04 Jun 2007 17:24:23 +0200
Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> ha scritto:

> Hi Aldo,
>
> > my home lan is made up with three desktops.
> > one of them (GW) has 3 eth cards the first one links to the router
> > the other 2 connect PC1 and PC2 to GW.
[...]
> > if i run in the NB: hcitool scan
> > correctly get:
> > 11:11:11:11:11:11 paperino-0
>
> this is not a valid MAC address. And PAN/Ethernet will fail with it.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

ok, thanks for your advice!
i've bought another bluetooth/usb adapter and now everything works!

thanks again! :-)
aldo

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Raymond,

> > > if i run in the NB: hcitool scan
> > > correctly get:
> > > 11:11:11:11:11:11 paperino-0
> >
> > this is not a valid MAC address. And PAN/Ethernet will fail with it.
>
> How does one change the MAC address with a USB bluetooth adapter? (I
> understand that you can't change the actual value in the firmware, but
> isn't there a way to modify it in software, the way many Ethernet
> cards can?)
>
> I ask because I have a cheap Bluetooth adapter ("Integrated System
> Solution Corp. KY-BT100 Bluetooth Adapter" according to lsusb) that
> uses that MAC address, too. It works for talking to my Palm Treo, but
> it'd be nice to be able to set it to a more conventional, legal value.

there are ways to change the address, but I don't support any of them.
So you are on your own. However I would return that dongle since it is
actually illegal.

Regards

Marcel

by Raymond Ingles