2007-09-18 17:11:27

by Dark Shadow

Subject: [Bluez-users] Suggest a bluetooth dongle

I currently have a piece of crap dongle that requires some strange
voodoo* to work. I would like to buy a cheap one for the purposes of
transfering data to and from my cell phone, use wiimote on my laptop,
and finally a bluetooth mouse.

I would prefer a class 2 one that just plugs and plays with zero
commands. If required one that works after plugged in then running the
command "modprobe hci_usb reset=1"

Please only suggest in-expensive ones that you have personally tested.
Because I don't want to deal with returning a product bought online.
Canadian websites would be nice.

I found these on tigerdirect.ca if anyone has experience with them
Zonet - ZUB6212C - Class 2 USB 2.0 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter $20
Kinamax 328 Foot BT-USB - USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter $11 (not class 2
but I am desperate)

I only ask this because there is no where on the internet to find a
list of adapters and how the work under Linux.

*by voodoo I mean I can spend hours or days trying to get it to work
and nothing will happen. Then an hour after I give up and start just
web surfing it will just switch modes for no reason and work perfect
after I "modprobe hci_usb reset=1"

by Brandon Casey

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Suggest a bluetooth dongle

On 9/20/07, Chris Hodgins <[email protected]> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up finding one, that the user
> comments includes one that says it works under Linux plus it is only
> $6.35 and free worldwide shipping

That's cheap. plus it's EDR, maybe I'll get one...

-brandon

by Dark Shadow

On 9/18/07, Brandon Casey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've had the bluetake 009i for 2 years. I paid $20, it's a class 2,
> and I currently use it interchangeably on my rhat9 laptop and
> ubuntu7.04 desktop interchangeably.
>
> They also have some class-1 and 2.0w/EDR dongles.
>
> -brandon
>

> On 9/18/07, Chris Hodgins <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I currently have a piece of crap dongle that requires some strange
> > voodoo* to work. I would like to buy a cheap one for the purposes of
> > transfering data to and from my cell phone, use wiimote on my laptop,
> > and finally a bluetooth mouse.
> >
> > I would prefer a class 2 one that just plugs and plays with zero
> > commands. If required one that works after plugged in then running the
> > command "modprobe hci_usb reset=1"
> >
> > Please only suggest in-expensive ones that you have personally tested.
> > Because I don't want to deal with returning a product bought online.
> > Canadian websites would be nice.
> >
> > I found these on tigerdirect.ca if anyone has experience with them
> > Zonet - ZUB6212C - Class 2 USB 2.0 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter $20
> > Kinamax 328 Foot BT-USB - USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter $11 (not class 2
> > but I am desperate)
> >
> > I only ask this because there is no where on the internet to find a
> > list of adapters and how the work under Linux.
> >
> > *by voodoo I mean I can spend hours or days trying to get it to work
> > and nothing will happen. Then an hour after I give up and start just
> > web surfing it will just switch modes for no reason and work perfect
> > after I "modprobe hci_usb reset=1"

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up finding one, that the user
comments includes one that says it works under Linux plus it is only
$6.35 and free worldwide shipping

http://dealextreme.com/feedbacks/BrowseReviews.dx/sku.754

by Brandon Casey

I've had the bluetake 009i for 2 years. I paid $20, it's a class 2,
and I currently use it interchangeably on my rhat9 laptop and
ubuntu7.04 desktop interchangeably.

They also have some class-1 and 2.0w/EDR dongles.

-brandon

On 9/18/07, Chris Hodgins <[email protected]> wrote:
> I currently have a piece of crap dongle that requires some strange
> voodoo* to work. I would like to buy a cheap one for the purposes of
> transfering data to and from my cell phone, use wiimote on my laptop,
> and finally a bluetooth mouse.
>
> I would prefer a class 2 one that just plugs and plays with zero
> commands. If required one that works after plugged in then running the
> command "modprobe hci_usb reset=1"
>
> Please only suggest in-expensive ones that you have personally tested.
> Because I don't want to deal with returning a product bought online.
> Canadian websites would be nice.
>
> I found these on tigerdirect.ca if anyone has experience with them
> Zonet - ZUB6212C - Class 2 USB 2.0 Bluetooth Wireless Adapter $20
> Kinamax 328 Foot BT-USB - USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter $11 (not class 2
> but I am desperate)
>
> I only ask this because there is no where on the internet to find a
> list of adapters and how the work under Linux.
>
> *by voodoo I mean I can spend hours or days trying to get it to work
> and nothing will happen. Then an hour after I give up and start just
> web surfing it will just switch modes for no reason and work perfect
> after I "modprobe hci_usb reset=1"

by Raymond Ingles

On 9/18/07, Chris Hodgins <[email protected]> wrote:

> Please only suggest in-expensive ones that you have personally tested.
> Because I don't want to deal with returning a product bought online.
> Canadian websites would be nice.

http://www.pcuniverse.com/product.asp?pid=3560912&m_id=32

Class 1, good range, inexpensive, etc. Works for me on two different
Ubuntu 7.04 systems.

One caveat: on a P-III 700MHz system, it worked fine with no
problems. On my dual-Athlon 2GHz system, it only works *fully* if I
have it connected at boot time. If I plug it in later, I can see it,
and scan the neighborhood with it, but I wasn't able to get my Treo
650 to network with it. Other than that, no issues. Take that for what
it's worth, I guess.