2006-08-07 21:27:41

by Michael Ellis

Subject: [Bluez-users] dbus-1.pc not found

Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've searched on Google
and Gmane and haven't found anything that seems to fit exactly.

Trying to configure bluez-utils-3.2 on slackware 10.1 with a 2.6.11 kernel,
I get

checking for DBUS... Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search
path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
No package 'dbus-1' found
configure: error: dbus > 0.35 is required

Installing dbus-0.91, apparently successfully, does not cure the error. Is
there something I needed to do other than the usual ./configure; make;
sudo make install? My dbus executables were installed in /usr/local/bin.

I also tried building bluez-utils-3.2 with ./configure --disable-dbus. No
effect, same error. FWIW, I'm using the FCE4 desktop rather than Gnome or
KDE. I mention this because I get the impression the need for dbus is
typically associated with Desktop support.

I very much need to get bluez-utils working for simple serial comm to an
embedded device and could care less about GUIs. What's the most
straightforward way get past this hurdle?
Thanks,
Mike Ellis

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.14 kB)
(No filename) (1.31 kB)
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Michael Ellis

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] dbus-1.pc not found

On 8/8/06, Michael Ellis <[email protected]> wrote:

> > HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
> status 0x06 handle 41 bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51 type ACL encrypt 0x00
> Error: PIN or Key Missing
>
> Found it. In hcid.conf, I had pin-helper instead of pin_helper. Is there
a setting that will cause hcid to log messages about invalid parameters in
the hcid.conf file? That would have saved me a couple of hours.
Mike

Attachments:
(No filename) (445.00 B)
(No filename) (832.00 B)
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Michael Ellis

On 8/7/06, Michael Ellis <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Marcel,
>
> Thanks! That did the trick and it installed without error.
>
> So, if I may be so bold as to ask a little more help :-), I now have a
> configuration that almost works. I can plug a DBT-120 dongle into the linux

More information:
Apologies for top posting previous reply. The following is output from
hcidump following the hcitool cc command

< HCI Command: Create Connection (0x01|0x0005) plen 13
bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51 ptype 0xcc18 rswitch 0x01 clkoffset 0x0000
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
Create Connection (0x01|0x0005) status 0x00 ncmd 1
> HCI Event: Link Key Request (0x17) plen 6
bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51
< HCI Command: Link Key Request Negative Reply (0x01|0x000c) plen 6
bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
Link Key Request Negative Reply (0x01|0x000c) ncmd 1
status 0x00 bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51
> HCI Event: PIN Code Request (0x16) plen 6
bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51
< HCI Command: PIN Code Request Negative Reply (0x01|0x000e) plen 6
bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
PIN Code Request Negative Reply (0x01|0x000e) ncmd 1
status 0x00 bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51
> HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
status 0x06 handle 41 bdaddr 00:0C:84:00:16:51 type ACL encrypt 0x00
Error: PIN or Key Missing

So it looks like there's a problem with pin exchange. I'm not familiar
enough with hcidump to be sure which unit is complaining about the pin.
Both should be using 0000, for time being, and that pin worked with the
same dongle from a Windows laptop. My pin helper is a shell script that
simply contains:

#!/bin/sh
echo -n PIN:0000

I've tried various enabling and disable auth and encrypt and also tried
setting security to none. In the latter case, the connection attempt times
out.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.96 kB)
(No filename) (2.66 kB)
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Michael Ellis

Hi Marcel,

Thanks! That did the trick and it installed without error.

So, if I may be so bold as to ask a little more help :-), I now have a
configuration that almost works. I can plug a DBT-120 dongle into the linux
laptop and it seems to find and initialize it appropriately. Similarly, I
can use hcitool -inq and detect the embedded bluetooth device. When I try
to connect with hcitool cc, I get an input/output error. FWIW, I'm able to
connect the devices and exchange data if I plug the same dongle into a
Windows box.

Here are the outputs from the hci commands.

bash-3.00$ sudo /usr/sbin/hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:11:95:50:30:6A ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING
RX bytes:767 acl:0 sco:0 events:57 errors:0
TX bytes:513 acl:0 sco:0 commands:35 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x3e0100
Service Classes: Networking, Rendering, Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver:
0x20d
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

bash-3.00$ hcitool inq
Inquiring ...
00:0C:84:00:16:51 clock offset: 0x670f class: 0x000000

bash-3.00$ sudo hcitool cc 00:0C:84:00:16:51
Can't create connection: Input/output error

Any recommendations for troubleshooting?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

On 8/7/06, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> > Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've searched on
> > Google and Gmane and haven't found anything that seems to fit exactly.
> >
> > Trying to configure bluez-utils-3.2 on slackware 10.1 with a 2.6.11
> > kernel, I get
> >
> > checking for DBUS... Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config
> > search path.
> > Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
> > to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
> > No package 'dbus-1' found
> > configure: error: dbus > 0.35 is required
> >
> > Installing dbus-0.91, apparently successfully, does not cure the
> > error. Is there something I needed to do other than the
> > usual ./configure; make; sudo make install? My dbus executables
> > were installed in /usr/local/bin.
> >
> > I also tried building bluez-utils-3.2 with ./configure
> > --disable-dbus. No effect, same error. FWIW, I'm using the FCE4
> > desktop rather than Gnome or KDE. I mention this because I get the
> > impression the need for dbus is typically associated with Desktop
> > support.
> >
> > I very much need to get bluez-utils working for simple serial comm to
> > an embedded device and could care less about GUIs. What's the most
> > straightforward way get past this hurdle?
>
> run "find /usr -name 'dbus*.pc'" to find the actual pkg-config file from
> your D-Bus installation.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Michael F. Ellis
Managing Partner
Ellis & Grant, Inc.
Make Better Decisions with PeerTool!
http://www.peertools.com

Attachments:
(No filename) (3.62 kB)
(No filename) (5.32 kB)
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by bees

Hi,Mike

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=20745208, you will
find more in that mail list. I also arossed the problem before, finally I
have to use the old version of bluez(utils2.25 libs2.25). Or you can
upgrade Linux on your host.

Regards

Bees

2006/8/8, Michael Ellis <[email protected]>:

> Apologies if this has already been discussed, but I've searched on Google
> and Gmane and haven't found anything that seems to fit exactly.
>
> Trying to configure bluez-utils-3.2 on slackware 10.1 with a 2.6.11kernel, I get
>
> checking for DBUS... Package dbus-1 was not found in the pkg-config search
> path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `dbus-1.pc'
> No package 'dbus-1' found
> configure: error: dbus > 0.35 is required
>
> Installing dbus-0.91, apparently successfully, does not cure the error.
> Is there something I needed to do other than the usual ./configure; make;
> sudo make install? My dbus executables were installed in /usr/local/bin.
>
> I also tried building bluez-utils-3.2 with ./configure --disable-dbus.
> No effect, same error. FWIW, I'm using the FCE4 desktop rather than Gnome
> or KDE. I mention this because I get the impression the need for dbus is
> typically associated with Desktop support.
>
> I very much need to get bluez-utils working for simple serial comm to an
> embedded device and could care less about GUIs. What's the most
> straightforward way get past this hurdle?
> Thanks,
> Mike Ellis

(No filename) (2.07 kB)
(No filename) (3.23 kB)