2007-08-31 02:47:50

by Vlad Skarzhevskyy

Subject: [Bluez-users] JSR-82 using D-Bus

Hi Marcel
I'm developing BlueCove JSR-82. I have major windows stacks covered.
Now I'm thinking about BlueZ.

I have an idea to implement JSR-82 on top of BlueZ using just D-Bus
API. Do you think it is possible?

The problem is that BlueCove is LGPL (not GPL) so I can't really
link BlueZ libraries.

--
Vlad

by Vlad Skarzhevskyy

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] JSR-82 using D-Bus

Hi Marcel
My goal is to make open source JSR-82 and certify it with Motorola.
I can't do this with windows corporates. They will not make a minimal
modifications in the core to make it possible to make JSR-82 complaint
(100%) implementation on top...

> not sure that this will make you GPL compliant. Once you link it
> together the whole software becomes GPL.

This is fine. As long as as original BlueCove library exists in LGPL version.

> No idea. Never checked their source code. While I am open for
> suggestion's to support JSR-82 the best, I don't care that much because
> I am not a big Java fan.

Does this mean you will help me with advise while I'm doing JSR-82
on top of BlueZ?

I'm big fun of java :) and I can write in C/C++. As it is right now
I managed to create nearly compliant implementation on windows. There
are some missing parts that I can't fix in WIDCOMM to certify
implementation with Motorola. Also I'm hoping to make a version for
Toshiba stack. The API they have looks very promising. But this after
BlueZ.

I just started with BlueZ and managed to create device discovery
using D-Bus java binding. As I see there are many places where the are
missing documentation in BlueZ or unimplemented functionality e.g
Service framework does not give me ability to register L2CAP service.
Also if I want to register RFCOMM service but don't want map it to com
port and just handle it using sockets (not via D-Bus).....

So now I'm going for one week to the cottage. When back I will start
making noise in this group again.

--
Vlad

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Vlad,

> So basically I'm coming to this conclusion:
> To make BlueZ support for BlueCove I need to create GPL jar and .so
> for BlueZ that would accompany main BlueCove.jar (LGPL).
> I will try to use discovery and management using D-Bus....
> So BlueCove-Bluez.jar will link with BlueCove.jar not the other way around.

not sure that this will make you GPL compliant. Once you link it
together the whole software becomes GPL. Ask a lawyer or contact the
Free Software Foundation. I am serious about it. My word is worth
nothing in this regard.

> BWT regarding lawyers
> How come You have this page: http://www.bluez.org/jsr82.html
> "Impronto Developer Kit" and "Avetana JSR-82" are not GPL but they
> need to include l2cap.h and rfcomm.h to the native code.

No idea. Never checked their source code. While I am open for
suggestion's to support JSR-82 the best, I don't care that much because
I am not a big Java fan.

Regards

Marcel

by Vlad Skarzhevskyy

:) I have no lawyers.
So basically I'm coming to this conclusion:
To make BlueZ support for BlueCove I need to create GPL jar and .so
for BlueZ that would accompany main BlueCove.jar (LGPL).
I will try to use discovery and management using D-Bus....
So BlueCove-Bluez.jar will link with BlueCove.jar not the other way around.

BWT regarding lawyers
How come You have this page: http://www.bluez.org/jsr82.html
"Impronto Developer Kit" and "Avetana JSR-82" are not GPL but they
need to include l2cap.h and rfcomm.h to the native code.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Vlad,

> I was talking about native code libraries....
> Anyway:
> The question is is it possible to open and accept RFCOMM and L2CAP
> connections just using D-Bus?

that is a question for your lawyers actually. I tend to say that once
you incluce l2cap.h or rfcomm.h you include GPL code thus your code
becomes GPL, too.

The serial port service however allows you to create RFCOMM connections
and then map them to a serial port on your system. That can be used from
D-Bus. For L2CAP such thing makes no sense.

For OBEX connection at some point the obex-data-server will provide a
D-Bus interface for it.

Regards

Marcel

by Vlad Skarzhevskyy

Marcel
I was talking about native code libraries....
Anyway:
The question is is it possible to open and accept RFCOMM and L2CAP
connections just using D-Bus?

--
Vlad

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Vlad,

> I'm developing BlueCove JSR-82. I have major windows stacks covered.
> Now I'm thinking about BlueZ.
>
> I have an idea to implement JSR-82 on top of BlueZ using just D-Bus
> API. Do you think it is possible?
>
> The problem is that BlueCove is LGPL (not GPL) so I can't really
> link BlueZ libraries.

the D-Bus API can be used with whatever license you want.

Regards

Marcel

by Vlad Skarzhevskyy

All I did is written some API base on docs /hcid/dbus-api.txt
http://bluecove.googlecode.com/svn/incubator/bluecove-bluez/
This is using java D-Bus binding made by Matthew Johnson

I was looking at Avetana BT and was buggin Moritz tonnes of time to fix it...
Also I have code in BueCove for BlueZ contributed by Hakan Lager. But
there are still much to do....

by Manuel Naranjo

Hi Vlad
> My goal is to make open source JSR-82 and certify it with Motorola.
> I can't do this with windows corporates. They will not make a minimal
> modifications in the core to make it possible to make JSR-82 complaint
> (100%) implementation on top...

Great, I would like to help. And I think the company I work for will
fully support me on this.
> Does this mean you will help me with advise while I'm doing JSR-82
> on top of BlueZ?
>
> I'm big fun of java :) and I can write in C/C++. As it is right now
> I managed to create nearly compliant implementation on windows. There
> are some missing parts that I can't fix in WIDCOMM to certify
> implementation with Motorola. Also I'm hoping to make a version for
> Toshiba stack. The API they have looks very promising. But this after
> BlueZ.
>
> I just started with BlueZ and managed to create device discovery
> using D-Bus java binding. As I see there are many places where the are
> missing documentation in BlueZ or unimplemented functionality e.g
> Service framework does not give me ability to register L2CAP service.
> Also if I want to register RFCOMM service but don't want map it to com
> port and just handle it using sockets (not via D-Bus).....
>
> So now I'm going for one week to the cottage. When back I will start
> making noise in this group again
I'm a big fun of java too. And I like C, right now I'm writing an app
that opens an spp server, interacts with the spp clients, and then sends
data to web server. The code is 100% GPL and written in C. But I think
that doing it in Java could make my life much easier.

Have you see the d-bus api for Java, maybe you can use it to avoid JNI
as much as possible.

There's also Avetana BT, I had patched it a bit to get it compile and
used it. But it's too old, and a bit buggy, it's still using loads of
hci calls, and I agree with Marcel idea of not using hci calls outside
from hcid.

Cheers,
Manuel