2005-02-02 03:44:31

by Jesse Guardiani

Subject: [Bluez-users] Re: Anycom USB-240 & firmware

Jesse Guardiani wrote:

> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>
>> Hi Jesse,
>>
>>> I recently bought an Anycom USB-240. It ships
>>> with BT 1.1 firmware, as depicted below, but
>>> it *should* be BT 1.2 capable hardware.
>>>
>>> % hciconfig -a
>>> hci0: Type: USB
>>> BD Address: 00:0B:0D:34:1F:E0 ACL MTU: 120:20 SCO MTU: 64:0
>>> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
>>> RX bytes:254 acl:0 sco:0 events:43 errors:0
>>> TX bytes:416 acl:0 sco:0 commands:30 errors:0
>>> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x05 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
>>> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
>>> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
>>> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
>>> Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
>>> Class: 0x100100
>>> Service Classes: Object Transfer
>>> Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
>>> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x0 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver:
>>> 0x757 Manufacturer: Silicon Wave (11)
>>>
>>> My interest in Bluetooth is primarily tied to
>>> audio right now. I've been doing a lot of work
>>> with SIP phones lately so I've ordered a BT 1.2
>>> Logitech Mobile Freedom Headset to play with.
>>> It should arrive in a week or two.
>>>
>>> Anyway, the Logitech headset is BT 1.2 capable
>>> so I'd like to upgrade my USB-240 firmware to
>>> 1.2 also (freq hopping to avoid my 802.11b nets,
>>> etc...), but this post on the Anycom website
>>> claims that the USB-240's headset and handsfree
>>> profiles don't work well under Linux with BT
>>> 1.2 firmware:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/5pqnm
>>>
>>> So in the interest of NOT frying my shiny new
>>> USB-240, does anyone on this list currently use
>>> a USB-240 with a headset or handsfree profile
>>> device? Which firmware do you use?
>>
>> if you wanna play with audio then you should better buy a dongle with a
>> CSR chip.
>
> Well, my headset arrived today and is currently in it's 4 hour
> charge cycle. We'll see if the Anycom is Anygood for audio. :)

Nope. No luck. I get this issue:
http://tinyurl.com/5dhtl

Hissing, volume buttons work, both from amixer and from headset's volume
buttons, but no audio. When I try to send audio, I get this:

[21:35]jesse@trevarthan:[~]% aplay -B 1000000 -D plughw:Headset /usr/home/jesse/.kde3.3/share/sounds/maximize.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/home/jesse/.kde3.3/share/sounds/maximize.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:592:(snd_pcm_hw_drain) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_DRAIN failed: Input/output error

In addition, if I disconnect the headset by pushing the function button, the
hissing stops, and I get confirmation that the SCO connection has been dropped:

[22:07]jesse@trevarthan:[~]% btsco 00:0D:44:36:E6:F4
Device is 0:0
Voice setting: 0x0060
RFCOMM channel 1 connected
recieved AT+CKPD=200
opened hwdep
connected SCO channel
Setting sco fd
Done setting sco fd
recieved AT+VGS=13
Sending up speaker change 13
recieved AT+CKPD=200
disconnected SCO channel

Pressing the connect button on the headset after this yields
this output:

recieved AT+CKPD=200
opened hwdep

But then it hangs and I have to physically remove the dongle
from the USB port and replug it to get things working again.

I'm using a patched (mh3) Gentoo 2.6.10-r6 kernel. Everything
but the VERSION hunk applied successfully.

Is this an irreparable incompatibility with the Silicon Wave
chipset? I'm willing to do any debugging and/or patching
necessary, but my guess is that Marcel already has plenty of
these chipsets laying around.

If there's no hope, can anyone recommend a USB BT 1.2 dongle,
hopefully with flash upgradeable firmware, that works well
with Bluez in headset and handsfree profile modes?

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,