2005-02-04 05:05:08

by Embedded System

Subject: [Bluez-users] where can I find patch for 2.6.9?

hi,

I can only find the patch for latest 2.6 kernel at bluez.org. Where
can I find other 2.6 kernel patches?

Thanks a lot!

-Andy

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Re: where can I find patch for 2.6.9?

Hi Marco,

> > We are developing for 2.6 and I don't have time to do the backporting to
> > 2.4 and actually I see no reason to do this.
>
> Well, there are reasons. But that would be a huge lot of work and would
> only slow down the progress and development of bluez.

there is always work, but I think it is better to investigate into
switching to 2.6 instead of backporting BlueZ. The advantage of using
2.6 is that some stuff comes free house, like the BlueZ ;)

> > People should start using
> > the new stable kernel series or pay someone to backport the stuff if
> > they wanna stick with an old kernel.
>
> Right. That's the only way that makes sense (in my mind).
>
> I'm curious:
> what would a backport to a specific 2.4 kernel cost?
> What time would it need?
>
> Oh, I just see that you wrote "someone". So you wouldn't be available for
> such a action?
>
> Is there a list of features that are not in the 2.4 series?

I never made a list for that, but actually there are some serious dead
lock fixes for some corner cases, some protocol corrections and of
course the RFCOMM service level security that was merged mainline and
will be part of the final 2.6.11 kernel.

Since I keep track all of my changes, a simple "ls patch-2.6.* | wc -l"
revealed 138 patches. There are maybe some duplicates and some 2.6 only
patches, but there must be at least 50-60 patches of difference between
the latest 2.4 and the current 2.6 kernel.

So how much time would this take? I can't tell you right now, because
for that I have to look to all 138 patches and decide if they should be
backported or not. This also depends on the specific 2.4 kernel version
you want this backport for. And then add the testing part.

I would maybe be available for such a job, but this depends on when you
need this. And the cost question is easy, because you only have to
multiply the time with my normal price per hour ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Marco Trudel

>>So the 2.4.x patches are all up2date and have the same fixes as the most
>>recent 2.6.x one?
>

> not quite right. All 2.4 patches provide the same level of the Bluetooth
> subsystem, but this is out of date if you compare it with the stuff that
> are in the 2.6 kernel and its patches.
>
> We are developing for 2.6 and I don't have time to do the backporting to
> 2.4 and actually I see no reason to do this.

Well, there are reasons. But that would be a huge lot of work and would
only slow down the progress and development of bluez.

> People should start using
> the new stable kernel series or pay someone to backport the stuff if
> they wanna stick with an old kernel.

Right. That's the only way that makes sense (in my mind).

I'm curious:
what would a backport to a specific 2.4 kernel cost?
What time would it need?

Oh, I just see that you wrote "someone". So you wouldn't be available for
such a action?

Is there a list of features that are not in the 2.4 series?

regards
Marco

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Marco,

> So the 2.4.x patches are all up2date and have the same fixes as the most
> recent 2.6.x one?

not quite right. All 2.4 patches provide the same level of the Bluetooth
subsystem, but this is out of date if you compare it with the stuff that
are in the 2.6 kernel and its patches.

We are developing for 2.6 and I don't have time to do the backporting to
2.4 and actually I see no reason to do this. People should start using

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>

>>>I can only find the patch for latest 2.6 kernel at bluez.org. Where
>>>can I find other 2.6 kernel patches?
>>
>>Go to http://www.bluez.org -> Download -> Patches then copy the URL of the
>>2.6.10-mh3 patch paste it to a new tab and edit it, e.g.
>>http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/patch-2.6.9-mh1.gz
>

> the latest patch for that kernel is 2.6.9-mh5 btw.
>

>>But as far as I know this is undesired. You _should_ use the current
>>kernel and patch!
>

> The problem with older patches for 2.6 kernels is that they are not
> maintained and that none of them contains the latest fixes. This is
> different from my patches for the 2.4 series. So it is better if you
> switch to a 2.6.10 kernel.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sebastian,

> > I can only find the patch for latest 2.6 kernel at bluez.org. Where
> > can I find other 2.6 kernel patches?
>
> Go to http://www.bluez.org -> Download -> Patches then copy the URL of the
> 2.6.10-mh3 patch paste it to a new tab and edit it, e.g.
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/patch-2.6.9-mh1.gz

the latest patch for that kernel is 2.6.9-mh5 btw.

> But as far as I know this is undesired. You _should_ use the current
> kernel and patch!

The problem with older patches for 2.6 kernels is that they are not
maintained and that none of them contains the latest fixes. This is
different from my patches for the 2.4 series. So it is better if you
switch to a 2.6.10 kernel.

Regards

Marcel

by Embedded System

hi, Sebastian

It works! So good! Thanks a lot for your info.

All the best,
Andy
On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 08:26:11 +0100, Sebastian Roth
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> > I can only find the patch for latest 2.6 kernel at bluez.org. Where
> > can I find other 2.6 kernel patches?
>
> Go to http://www.bluez.org -> Download -> Patches then copy the URL of the
> 2.6.10-mh3 patch paste it to a new tab and edit it, e.g.
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/patch-2.6.9-mh1.gz
>
> But as far as I know this is undesired. You _should_ use the current
> kernel and patch!
>
> Regards,
> Sebastian

by Sebastian Roth