2005-03-28 03:57:30

by Jonathan Bredin

Subject: [Bluez-users] creating the bnep0 device

hello all,

I have a pretty remedial question involving setting up bluettoth in
Linux, but I don't think that I've seen any answers in the documentation
or mailing list.

I'm using kernel 2.6.11 with a LinkSys USBBT100 adaptor. The adaptor
can scan and ping other bluetooth devices with l2ping, but I'm having
problems getting bnep0 recognized as a network interface.

ifconfig bnep0 returns
bnep0: error fetching interface information: Device not found

The fedora utility sees bnep0, but cannot activate it and returns
SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
when I try to deactivate it.

I get the same results when I use bluez/benp compiled into the kernel or
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.7
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.5
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer
initialized
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation)
ver 1.2
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol
multicast
Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface
Emulation) ver 1.1

Does anyone have suggestions to get bnep0 off the ground?

Thanks,

jonathan

by Anderson Rodrigues

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] creating the bnep0 device

Hi Jonathan,

As Marcel has menssioned you should connect the devices using PAND
first. When the connection is ok the bnep0 is created automatically by
PAND. Ex:

GN side

pand --listen --role GN

PANU side:
pand --connect <bdaddr> --role PANU

If everything got OK you can apply an IP address at both sides

GN side:
#ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.1

PANU side:
#ifconfig bnep0 10.0.0.2

so you can try ping one of these addresses

hope it helps.

all the best

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 12:41:13 +0200, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> > I have a pretty remedial question involving setting up bluettoth in
> > Linux, but I don't think that I've seen any answers in the documentation
> > or mailing list.
> >
> > I'm using kernel 2.6.11 with a LinkSys USBBT100 adaptor. The adaptor
> > can scan and ping other bluetooth devices with l2ping, but I'm having
> > problems getting bnep0 recognized as a network interface.
> >
> > ifconfig bnep0 returns
> > bnep0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
> >
> > The fedora utility sees bnep0, but cannot activate it and returns
> > SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
> > when I try to deactivate it.
> >
> > I get the same results when I use bluez/benp compiled into the kernel or
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP ver 2.7
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: L2CAP socket layer initialized
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.5
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer
> > initialized
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: RFCOMM TTY layer initialized
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation)
> > ver 1.2
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol
> > multicast
> > Mar 27 12:30:11 ma-jbredin kernel: Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface
> > Emulation) ver 1.1
> >
> > Does anyone have suggestions to get bnep0 off the ground?
>
> what about using "pand --connect" before you try to use "ifconfig".
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Anderson Clayton B. Rodrigues
Eng. de Software