2006-10-19 19:52:41

by Turley, Scott-P27856

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluez/bluetooth newbie

Hi all,

I'm trying to do something really simple in the bluetooth environment.
I attached a USB bluetooth module (from A7 engineering) to a Linx PC,
and I attached a serial module to a windows PC. This serial module has
the complete stack, and I just interface to it with ASCII commands over
a serial port profile. I want to simply send ASCII text across a
bluetooth serial connection between the two computers.

I have been able to do this successfully with a windows host. Here are
the steps I'm taking:

* On the Windows side, I connect to the serial bluetooth module,
configure the baud rate to 9600, no HW flow control, etc.
* On the Linux side I start the hcid and sdpd services.
* Then I search for the remote bluetooth device using "hcitool
inq" and I see it.
* I establish a connection using "hcitool cc <bt address>".
* Finally I use rfcomm to make a serial connection: "rfcomm
connect 0 <bt address> 1".

The windows side recognizes a connection is made, but I am unable to get
data across.

I have found no way to establish baud rate. Is that necessary across
bluetooth?

I am expecting to just type into a window and see the characters show up
in the external window. This works when both sides are Windows machines
using hyperterm.

Instead, when I type on the windows hyperterm, I get the ascii
characters repeated (is the Linux side bouncing the characters back?).
On the Linux side, when I type in the window, nothing really happens.

Any help/advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Scott Turley
Software Engineer
GENERAL DYNAMICS DECISION SYSTEMS
Communications Systems Division
8201 E. McDowell Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
phone: 480-675-2613

Attachments:
(No filename) (373.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Turley, Scott-P27856

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluez/bluetooth newbie

Sure, I copied the source from the following website:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/albert/bluez-intro/

-Scott