2005-04-21 22:10:29

by William M. Quarles

Subject: [Bluez-users] Beginner with PAND

(everybody on this list seems to be an expert, so there are plenty of
people who should be able to help me out with this :-))

Hi,

I am trying to set up one of my computers to work as an Internet router
for other bluetooth devices. I'm trying to use pand, and I notice that
it has this -e flag. I use it to designate the ethernet device name
that I want to give to my bluetooth stack/dongle (someone correct me if
I am not understanding this correctly). Well, ifconfig doesn't reveal
another device when pand is running. I can't network to a device that
doesn't exist. So what do I do?

Thanks,
William

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Re: Beginner with PAND

Hi William,

> >>I am trying to set up one of my computers to work as an Internet router
> >>for other bluetooth devices. I'm trying to use pand, and I notice that
> >>it has this -e flag. I use it to designate the ethernet device name
> >>that I want to give to my bluetooth stack/dongle (someone correct me if
> >>I am not understanding this correctly). Well, ifconfig doesn't reveal
> >>another device when pand is running. I can't network to a device that
> >>doesn't exist. So what do I do?
> >
> > the bnep0 device is only created when you actually created the BNEP
> > connection. To set the IP before the connection you must use a Bridge on
> > top the bnepX interfaces. Check the PAN howto for details.
>
> Why do I need a bridge? I don't have to create a bridge in MS Windows
> XP to set this up. I don't really want a bridge either. Are you sure
> that there isn't another way?

this is not Windows, period.

However you can do it without a bridge, but then you have to deal with
the IP assignment over the hotplug or your distribution specific
methods. The bnep0 is only available when the connection is established
and it will go away when the connection terminates.

Regards

Marcel

by William M. Quarles

Subject: [Bluez-users] Re: Beginner with PAND

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi William,
>

>>I am trying to set up one of my computers to work as an Internet router
>>for other bluetooth devices. I'm trying to use pand, and I notice that
>>it has this -e flag. I use it to designate the ethernet device name
>>that I want to give to my bluetooth stack/dongle (someone correct me if
>>I am not understanding this correctly). Well, ifconfig doesn't reveal
>>another device when pand is running. I can't network to a device that
>>doesn't exist. So what do I do?
>

> the bnep0 device is only created when you actually created the BNEP
> connection. To set the IP before the connection you must use a Bridge on
> top the bnepX interfaces. Check the PAN howto for details.

Marcel,

I guess you mean the How-Tos on your website, holtmann.org (now that I
look around)?

Wow, you have GUI on there? I didn't see that advertised on the BlueZ
site. It should be.

William

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Beginner with PAND