2007-06-24 21:07:58

by walt shekrota

Subject: [Bluez-users] plugz install still not right

Ok I'm missing something here.

I followed the directions at
http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html
so I have all the packages called for
built sbc and plugz

I have a patched 2.6.21.5 kernel on my kubuntu 6.06 with your most recent diff from
http://bluetooth-alsa.cvs.sourceforge.net/bluetooth-alsa/plugz/patches/
headsetd was started and is running.
I fire up skype and options does not show a headset entry for sound device.
the .asoundrc was modified as suggested.

Isolation tactics you might have?

Thanks for any help.
-Walt

---------------------------------

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by walt shekrota

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] plugz install still not right

I think it is a copy and change from within the plugz subdirectory sample..
it follows here

pcm.headset {
@args [BDADDR TIMEOUT]

# The Bluetooth device address for target headset, used for Audio Gateway (PC) initiated connections
# Please note that this value is ignored when the connection is Headset initiated
@args.BDADDR {
type string
default "00:03:89:F7:A9:78"
}

# This value represents how long we will try to reach the headset, until we give up.
# Value is in milliseconds
@args.TIMEOUT {
type integer
default 6000
}

type sco
bdaddr $BDADDR
timeout $TIMEOUT
}

ctl.headset {
type sco
}

# Simplest a2dpd possible
pcm.a2dpdsimple {
type a2dpd
}

Thanks Brad!
-Walt

Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote: Walt,

Yes, I use

headset

in that field for alsa device. It has to match up with an entry in .asoundrc in order to talk to the plugin properly. What does your ~/.asoundrc look like?

Brad

Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote: Walt,

Yes, I use

headset

in that field for alsa device. It has to match up with an entry in .asoundrc in order to talk to the plugin properly. What does your ~/.asoundrc look like?

Brad

---------------------------------

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley

Walt,

Yes, I use

headset

in that field for alsa device. It has to match up with an entry in .asoundrc
in order to talk to the plugin properly. What does your ~/.asoundrc look
like?

Brad

Attachments:
(No filename) (191.00 B)
(No filename) (225.00 B)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by walt shekrota

so you type only 'headset' in that menu nothing preceding it. I get the couldn't open audio check soundcard message. And when the headset is off I see "unable to connect L2CAP socket" on headsetd which makes sense.
The description in the doc only says a2dpd for xmms.
As for csr adapter, this is the same set I used with btsco and it worked.

Thanks.
-Walt

Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote: Walt

yes, I've tested xmms with headsetd using the alsa device "headset" and the alsa config recommended in the docs.

no audio coming through can be a symptom of incorrect csr routing or a non-csr adapter. http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/contact.html has some things to check for this (sudo hciconfig hci0 revision) and look for "sco mapping: hci"

Brad

---------------------------------
Finding fabulous fares is fun.

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley

Walt

yes, I've tested xmms with headsetd using the alsa device "headset" and the
alsa config recommended in the docs.

no audio coming through can be a symptom of incorrect csr routing or a
non-csr adapter. http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/contact.html has some
things to check for this (sudo hciconfig hci0 revision) and look for "sco
mapping: hci"

Brad

Attachments:
(No filename) (362.00 B)
(No filename) (485.00 B)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by walt shekrota

Brad,

Yes thats fine as long as you know you can work around.
I seemed to get the idea that xmms worked? What device was entered?
In this example I typed a2dpd in xmms as I said. There appeared to be a communication with the daemon as in my post below but dead silence on the headset.

-Walt

Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote: Walt

Because of the way alsa plugins work, they don't end up in the list of devices. This makes no sense but I don't make the rules :(

We have workarounds for that for some apps (making headset the default, hand-editing the device, etc). See the build page.

I managed to get kphone to use the plugz headset device for i/o but no one has had success with skype as far as I can tell.

Brad

---------------------------------

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley

Walt

Because of the way alsa plugins work, they don't end up in the list of
devices. This makes no sense but I don't make the rules :(

We have workarounds for that for some apps (making headset the default,
hand-editing the device, etc). See the build page.

I managed to get kphone to use the plugz headset device for i/o but no one
has had success with skype as far as I can tell.

Brad

Attachments:
(No filename) (391.00 B)
(No filename) (428.00 B)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by walt shekrota

ok I don't have any video players due to their propriety in distributions.
But this gave me the idea to put a2dpd in the device option of xmms. I get the following output with debug set in a2dpd. I get nothing when it is unset. (which I would expect) I get absolutely no sound in the paired headset.

A2DPD[21:18:47.158]: stream_client_state_streamingsetup: PLAYBACK thread client_index=0, socket=10, id=0 started (44100 Hz, 2 channels, 16 bits, ring 65536, threshold 65536)
A2DPD[21:19:00.317]: stream_client_send_pointer_resp: (errno=32:Broken pipe)Error while sending data
A2DPD[21:19:00.318]: disconnect_client:
I assume the broken pipe happens when I stop xmms?

Thanks.
-Walt

Pshem Kowalczyk <[email protected]> wrote: Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. But if I use mplayer with -ao
alsa:device=a2dpd it plays fine.

regards
Pshem

wrote:
> > Ok I'm missing something here.
> >
> > I followed the directions at
> > http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html
> > so I have all the packages called for
> > built sbc and plugz
> >
> > I have a patched 2.6.21.5 kernel on my kubuntu 6.06 with your most recent
> diff from
> >
> http://bluetooth-alsa.cvs.sourceforge.net/bluetooth-alsa/plugz/patches/
> > headsetd was started and is running.
> > I fire up skype and options does not show a headset entry for sound
> device.
> > the .asoundrc was modified as suggested.
> >
> > Isolation tactics you might have?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > -Walt

> ________________________________
> Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
> Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

Attachments:
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Pshem Kowalczyk

On 25/06/07, walt shekrota <[email protected]> wrote:
> I get no headset entry in xmms or skype.
> So I must have something wrong. But headset pairs and is ready.
> I did not see any errors in compiles and either the headsetd or a2dpd runs
> seemingly.
> -Walt
>
> Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote:
> https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-7 has some
> info. I think Robert was making headset the default alsa device to get
> around the problem skype (and most alsa apps) have with selecting the plugin
> device.
>
> On 6/24/07, walt shekrota <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Ok I'm missing something here.
> >
> > I followed the directions at
> > http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html
> > so I have all the packages called for
> > built sbc and plugz
> >
> > I have a patched 2.6.21.5 kernel on my kubuntu 6.06 with your most recent
> diff from
> >
> http://bluetooth-alsa.cvs.sourceforge.net/bluetooth-alsa/plugz/patches/
> > headsetd was started and is running.
> > I fire up skype and options does not show a headset entry for sound
> device.
> > the .asoundrc was modified as suggested.
> >
> > Isolation tactics you might have?
> >
> > Thanks for any help.
> > -Walt

> ________________________________
> Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
> Check out fitting gifts for grads at Yahoo! Search.

by walt shekrota

I get no headset entry in xmms or skype.
So I must have something wrong. But headset pairs and is ready.
I did not see any errors in compiles and either the headsetd or a2dpd runs seemingly.
-Walt

Brad Midgley <[email protected]> wrote: https://developer.skype.com/jira/browse/SCL-7 has some info. I think Robert was making headset the default alsa device to get around the problem skype (and most alsa apps) have with selecting the plugin device.

On 6/24/07, walt shekrota <[email protected]> wrote: Ok I'm missing something here.

I followed the directions at
http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html
so I have all the packages called for
built sbc and plugz

I have a patched 2.6.21.5 kernel on my kubuntu 6.06 with your most recent diff from
http://bluetooth-alsa.cvs.sourceforge.net/bluetooth-alsa/plugz/patches/
headsetd was started and is running.
I fire up skype and options does not show a headset entry for sound device.
the .asoundrc was modified as suggested.

Isolation tactics you might have?

Thanks for any help.
-Walt

---------------------------------
Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by walt shekrota

What is the absolute simplest way to know the headset plugin is working? The daemon stays running. So why do I think it might not be working. Does headsetd log anywhere?

[...]

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley