2007-11-23 15:58:08

by Csillag Kristóf

Subject: [Bluez-users] Choppy sound with a2dp and mplayer

Hi all!

I am using bluez 3.22.

I have successfully configured the audio system with
my stereo Bluetooth headset, and a2dp & avrcp work now.

I have an ALSA device named "headset", and when an
applications (xmms, audacious, etc.) send sound to it,
it appears on my headset. So good, so far.

However, when I try to use it with mplayer, I get choppy
output. Playback is smooth for a few seconds, but then
it breaks up. I can not find any error/warning messages
in the output of mplayer.

I have made several tests. Here are the results:

1. Q: mplayer x.avi -ao alsa:device=headset
A: choppy

2: Q: mplayer x.avi -dumpaudio
mplayer stream.dump -ao alsa:device=headset
A: fluent

3: Q: mplayer x.avi -ao alsa:device=headset -vc null -vo null
A: choppy

So, mplayer _can_ play the sound track of the file via the bt headset,
without any problems. However, if the video stream is there in the file,
even if it's not decoded at all, audio collapses.

Because of this, I guess this must be some timing/caching issue.
Do you agree? If no, what else? If yes, how can I make mplayer cache
more audio while playing?

(I have already configured hcid to be always master and no rswitch, but
this did not help.)

Any idea?

Thank you for your help:

Kristof Csillag

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Choppy sound with a2dp and mplayer

Kristof

It may also be an issue for us right now if mplayer does its video
decoding in the same thread as the audio processing. Trying another
player and/or the gstreamer plugin in your setup would tell us more.

Brad

On Nov 23, 2007 8:58 AM, Csillag Krist=F3f <[email protected]> wrot=
e:
> Hi all!
>
> I am using bluez 3.22.
>
> I have successfully configured the audio system with
> my stereo Bluetooth headset, and a2dp & avrcp work now.
>
> I have an ALSA device named "headset", and when an
> applications (xmms, audacious, etc.) send sound to it,
> it appears on my headset. So good, so far.
>
> However, when I try to use it with mplayer, I get choppy
> output. Playback is smooth for a few seconds, but then
> it breaks up. I can not find any error/warning messages
> in the output of mplayer.
>
> I have made several tests. Here are the results:
>
> 1. Q: mplayer x.avi -ao alsa:device=3Dheadset
> A: choppy
>
> 2: Q: mplayer x.avi -dumpaudio
> mplayer stream.dump -ao alsa:device=3Dheadset
> A: fluent
>
> 3: Q: mplayer x.avi -ao alsa:device=3Dheadset -vc null -vo null
> A: choppy
>
> So, mplayer _can_ play the sound track of the file via the bt headset,
> without any problems. However, if the video stream is there in the file,
> even if it's not decoded at all, audio collapses.
>
> Because of this, I guess this must be some timing/caching issue.
> Do you agree? If no, what else? If yes, how can I make mplayer cache
> more audio while playing?
>
> (I have already configured hcid to be always master and no rswitch, but
> this did not help.)
>
> Any idea?
>
> Thank you for your help:
>
> Kristof Csillag