2007-11-24 13:31:23

by Csillag Kristóf

Subject: [Bluez-users] using BlueZ with pulseaudio

Hi there!

I can figure out how to use PulseAudio with the ALSA device provided by
BlueZ.

I have BlueZ 3.22 installed & configured.

My /etc/asound.rc looks like this:

pcm.headset {
type bluetooth
device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
}

ctl.headset {
type bluetooth
device xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
}

-----------------------------------

(Of course, instead of the Xes, it contains the address of my BT headset.)

I can use xmms/audacious to output sound to the alsa device "headset", and

it works all right.

However, when I try to run a PulseAudio sink on top of this device

(by adding "load-module module-alsa-sink device=headset" to
/etc/pulse/default.pa),

I get the following error:

ALSA lib ctl_bluetooth.c:150:(bluetooth_send_ctl) Unable to request new
volume value to server: Socket operation on non-socket
W: alsa-util.c: Unable to load mixer: Socket operation on non-socket

I can run PulseAudio sinks on top of other ALSA devices, so I guess the
problem

lies in PulseAudio interfacing with the BlueTooth ALSA mixer.

How can I configure this?

How can I use this mixer anyway? I have not yet found any alsa

mixer application which lets me configure the name of the mixer device
to use.

Thank you for your help:

Kristof Csillag

by Brad Midgley

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] using BlueZ with pulseaudio

Kristof

I tried the same thing. pulse is the only alsa client I've seen that
automatically tries to use the same mixer as the device you've
specified. You might try to fake it out by making ctl.bluetooth in
asound.rc refer to a hardware mixer.

> (by adding "load-module module-alsa-sink device=headset" to
> /etc/pulse/default.pa),
>
> I get the following error:
>
> ALSA lib ctl_bluetooth.c:150:(bluetooth_send_ctl) Unable to request new
> volume value to server: Socket operation on non-socket
> W: alsa-util.c: Unable to load mixer: Socket operation on non-socket

The ctl side of the code hasn't been worked out completely.

> How can I use this mixer anyway? I have not yet found any alsa
>
> mixer application which lets me configure the name of the mixer device
> to use.

alsamixer -D bluetooth

should give you the same error

--