2007-05-22 16:12:55

by Rob Sims

Subject: [Bluez-users] Sharing devices with dual-booted Windows

I have several devices that I use with both Linux and Windows on the
same laptop. The issue is that the remote devices, such as my PDA, see
the laptop as the same device no matter what OS is running, and pairing
is broken.

I need some way to either make the Windows and Linux stacks present a
unified front in terms of pairing, or alter the adapter address while in
Linux so that the laptop appears to be a different device. Altering the
name alone in hcid.conf is insufficient.

Currently, when switching OS, I must manually delete the pairing from my
PDA, then re-pair the device.

Is there a way to override the preprogrammed address with a user
specified one, as you can do with network MAC addresses? The adapter is
a built-in hci_usb driven device.

Searching the list archives yielded nothing applicable.
--
Rob

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcus C. Gottwald

Rob Sims wrote (Sun 2007-May-27 18:13:40 -0600):

> On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:08:17PM -0400, Marcus C. Gottwald wrote:
> > Rob Sims wrote (Tue 2007-May-22 10:12:55 -0600):
> > > I have several devices that I use with both Linux and Windows on the
> > > same laptop. The issue is that the remote devices, such as my PDA, s=
ee
> > > the laptop as the same device no matter what OS is running, and pairi=
ng
> > > is broken.
> =

> > I always thought of this as a defect in the protocol:
> > Identification is based on the hardware address, but
> > stateful authentication using that identification is
> > performed on a layer way up.
> =

> Are you implying that the hardware address is not changeable, as it is
> for ethernet hardware?

No. But there's an interesting thought: Do you think (Or does
anybody know?) that during protocol design, where this issue
might have come up, someone said, "Ah, that's not a problem,
simply let the user configure his operating systems to change
the hardware address after the device has been plugged in."? --
I still think this was overlooked.

Cheers, Marcus

-- =

Marcus C. Gottwald =B7 http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~gottwald/

by Rob Sims

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 02:08:17PM -0400, Marcus C. Gottwald wrote:
> Rob Sims wrote (Tue 2007-May-22 10:12:55 -0600):
> > I have several devices that I use with both Linux and Windows on the
> > same laptop. The issue is that the remote devices, such as my PDA, see
> > the laptop as the same device no matter what OS is running, and pairing
> > is broken.

> I always thought of this as a defect in the protocol:
> Identification is based on the hardware address, but
> stateful authentication using that identification is
> performed on a layer way up.

Are you implying that the hardware address is not changeable, as it is
for ethernet hardware?
--
Rob

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (286.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by bhairava

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] auth problems

solved it.

hcid pass is for incoming connections.
i was doing outgoing.
managed to make it work with help of the example passkey-agent in
bluez-utils. i don't understand why this only comes as a source file and
not installed by default, as it should be. oh well.

Aveek Audhya wrote:
> I am using FC6, kernel 2.6.20-1. I have tested with setting the security to
> none in hcif.conf. In this case my Nokia 6600 doesn't ask for any
> password(pin) while doing Obex File Transfer.

by Aveek Adhya

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:15:23PM +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > fwiw, the only thing I could find would work only for csr chips using
> > bccmd from bluez-utils/tools (configure --enable-bccmd). Get the
> > bdaddr to see how the bytes are swapped around:

> > bccmd psget bdaddr

> > then set and reset the adapter (sometimes these commands take two
> > goes to take)

> > bccmd psset -r bdaddr 0x2000 0xaf9b 0xf400 0x0800

> > I could give this a whack tonight.

> using the bdaddr command is much simpler. It does the magic of
> bringing the address into the right format.

> > fyi, bccmd can brick the adapter (eg if you use "-s" to make bad
> > settings permanent). It would be nice if someone who fiddles with csr
> > stuff can verify this approach.

> Take this warning serious. You can really brick your dongle.

It appears from the behavior described above and a sample CSR datasheet
that PS is "Persistent Store." This means that not only would I have to
run this each time starting Linux, I'd have to restore the original
bdaddr in Linux before booting to Windows.

Also, this is a built-in adapter in a Thinkpad; it's significantly more
expensive than a dongle to fix, even if it might be a CSR core.

Thanks for settling this - there is no way to soft-set (change
disappears on reset) the bdaddr of existing bluetooth adapters.
--
Rob

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (309.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Brad,

> fwiw, the only thing I could find would work only for csr chips using
> bccmd from bluez-utils/tools (configure --enable-bccmd). Get the
> bdaddr to see how the bytes are swapped around:
>
> bccmd psget bdaddr
>
> then set and reset the adapter (sometimes these commands take two
> goes to take)
>
> bccmd psset -r bdaddr 0x2000 0xaf9b 0xf400 0x0800
>
> I could give this a whack tonight.

using the bdaddr command is much simpler. It does the magic of
bringing the address into the right format.

> fyi, bccmd can brick the adapter (eg if you use "-s" to make bad
> settings permanent). It would be nice if someone who fiddles with csr
> stuff can verify this approach.

Take this warning serious. You can really brick your dongle.

Regards

Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Rob,

fwiw, the only thing I could find would work only for csr chips using
bccmd from bluez-utils/tools (configure --enable-bccmd). Get the
bdaddr to see how the bytes are swapped around:

bccmd psget bdaddr

then set and reset the adapter (sometimes these commands take two goes to take)

bccmd psset -r bdaddr 0x2000 0xaf9b 0xf400 0x0800

I could give this a whack tonight.

fyi, bccmd can brick the adapter (eg if you use "-s" to make bad
settings permanent). It would be nice if someone who fiddles with csr
stuff can verify this approach.

Brad

by Rob Sims

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 09:45:02AM -0700, Brad Midgley wrote:
> > If it's soft, how does one assign the desired "fake" bdaddr to the host
> > adapter? With network devices, 'ifconfig hw' does the job.

> Sorry I didn't really answer this before. I'm trying to remember who
> told me about bdaddr hacks.

It would be appreciated.

> > Alternatively, can the pairing info be extracted from the Windows side
> > and translated to the Linux side?
>
> That would require digging into some registry etc internals in
> windows, so this list would only be helpful once you've dug up the
> credentials there first.

I did some digging in May and was unable to find where Windows hides its
pairing info. I'd probably have to diff the registry before and after a
pairing to narrow it down.

This list seemed to be the most likely candidate for users of both
stacks; Windows fora users would have no reason to extract such data.
--
Rob

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.00 B)
(No filename) (309.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Brad Midgley

Rob

> If it's soft, how does one assign the desired "fake" bdaddr to the host
> adapter? With network devices, 'ifconfig hw' does the job.

Sorry I didn't really answer this before. I'm trying to remember who
told me about bdaddr hacks.

> Alternatively, can the pairing info be extracted from the Windows side
> and translated to the Linux side?

That would require digging into some registry etc internals in
windows, so this list would only be helpful once you've dug up the
credentials there first.

--
Brad

by Rob Sims

Back in May, I posted a query:

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 10:12:55AM -0600, Rob Sims wrote:
> I have several devices that I use with both Linux and Windows on the
> same laptop. The issue is that the remote devices, such as my PDA, see
> the laptop as the same device no matter what OS is running, and pairing
> is broken.

> I need some way to either make the Windows and Linux stacks present a
> unified front in terms of pairing, or alter the adapter address while in
> Linux so that the laptop appears to be a different device. Altering the
> name alone in hcid.conf is insufficient.

> Currently, when switching OS, I must manually delete the pairing from my
> PDA, then re-pair the device.

> Is there a way to override the preprogrammed address with a user
> specified one, as you can do with network MAC addresses? The adapter is
> a built-in hci_usb driven device.

and got a response that was more a side comment than an answer.

In July, John Smith posted a similar query, and Brad Midgley responded:
} The problem is both operating systems share the same adapter but don't
} share any of the state that is built up during pairing.

} You could change between two bluetooth adapters on your computer so
} the phone doesn't get confused. There are even hacks where you use
} just one adapter and temporarily change the mac addr on the adapter
} when under linux.

John Smith's followup message asking for such a hack went unanswered.

Is the bdaddr an unchangeable part of the hardware, or is it soft, like
the MAC addresses of virtually all network cards?

If it's soft, how does one assign the desired "fake" bdaddr to the host
adapter? With network devices, 'ifconfig hw' does the job.

Alternatively, can the pairing info be extracted from the Windows side
and translated to the Linux side?
--
Rob

Attachments: