2008-01-09 04:08:36

by Chip McArtor

Subject: [Bluez-users] Headset audio capture failing when using Bluez's ALSA plugin

Hello, I recently installed a USB bluetooth dongle with the intent of
using my Jabra BT500 headset in VOIP applications. I've followed the
Bluez audio service wiki with some degree of success; audio playback on
my headset works flawlessly with a variety of players. Audio recording
through the headset's mic, on the other hand, consistently stops
capturing audio after what appears to be ~250ms into the recording session.

I've tested this using both arecord and Skype's test call feature.
Running arecord yields
$ arecord -D bluetooth -f S16_LE
>boo.wav Recording WAVE 'stdin' :
Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
Aborted by signal Interrupt...
(manually stopped after several seconds)

The output file boo.wav is exactly 250ms long, and appears to contain
the very beginning of my recording. Skype similarly fails on the call
test (audio playback is fine, but the capture test fails to grab any
audio). In both cases, the Jabra makes the "call end" tone when I
finish my recording test. Also while recording, I get the following
system message several times:

hci_scodata_packet: hci0 SCO packet for unknown connection handle 45

Any thoughts on what the problem could be? Thanks for your help.

Chip McArtor

Software versions:
bluez-libs 3.24
bluez-utils 3.24
alsa-lib 1.0.14a
linux 2.6.23 i686 SMP

BT adapter info:

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:15:83:BE:9C:58 ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:1984896 acl:74 sco:38817 events:196 errors:0
TX bytes:1970090 acl:57 sco:38591 commands:67 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x080100
Service Classes: Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 2.0 (0x3) HCI Rev: 0x7a6 LMP Ver: 2.0 (0x3) LMP Subver:
0x7a6
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

~/.asoundrc:

pcm.bluetooth {
type bluetooth
device 00:16:8F:08:8F:80
profile "voice"
}

Attachments:
smime.p7s (3.20 kB)
S/MIME Cryptographic Signature
(No filename) (278.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Chip McArtor

Excellent, I tried the bluez-utils cvs, and now both playback and
recording seem to be working. I'm not at home right now, so I
couldn't do an actual voice recording, but the headset mic seems to
record the noise of humming computer fans perfectly. XD

Thanks for your help!
Chip

On Jan 8, 2008, at 11:15 PM, Brad Midgley wrote:

> Chip
>
> A possible fix was just committed to bluez-utils cvs.
>
> Brad

Attachments:
smime.p7s (2.38 kB)
(No filename) (278.00 B)