2007-12-03 06:32:21

by Nel D

Subject: [Bluez-users] Support for multicasting in bluetooth

hello,
I want to write a small app wherein am able to broadcast a message to a
piconet. However to start of with, i found that bluetooth version
1.2doesn't have mutlicast support[1].

However a little of googling and i found that bluetooth version2.0 supports
multicasting :) [2]

So now here's a question [might be stupid for some but am stuck :( ]. How do
i find out whether a given bluetooth adapter adheres to version 2.0 ? .

hciconfig -a on current adapter shows the following output.

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:11:67:12:04:18 ACL MTU: 678:8 SCO MTU: 48:10
UP RUNNING PSCAN
RX bytes:420 acl:0 sco:0 events:19 errors:0
TX bytes:323 acl:0 sco:0 commands:19 errors:0
Features: 0xbf 0xfe 0x8d 0x78 0x08 0x18 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x100100
Service Classes: Unspecified
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x1f4 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
0x1f4
Manufacturer: Integrated System Solution Corp. (57)

Is the HCI Ver. the one i should look out for ?

[1]
http://www.bluetooth.com/Bluetooth/Learn/Works/Data_Transport_Architecture.htm
[2] http://www.funsms.net/what_is_bluetooth.htm

Thanks ,
nel

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.39 kB)
(No filename) (2.18 kB)
(No filename) (309.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> Thanks for the reply, i basically want to stream audio over a network
> of Bluetooth enabled devices in a piconet. I had a look at PAN
> profile. On the kernel side i saw BNEP has multicast filter support.
> So i figured that software has multicast support, its the hardware
> that should support multicast support.

if you use multicast in a point-to-point connection, it doesn't mean
that it is a real multicast. So don't confuse higher level multicast
support with multicast support of the Bluetooth radio. If the baseband
doesn't support it, it doesn't matter what the higher protocols layers
support.

And you should really get yourself a book with the Bluetooth basics. If
you don't understand how the basics work, you have problems to
understand what are the limitations of Bluetooth.

Regards

Marcel

by Nel D

It would be real nice if i get any leads on this topic. Somehow my google
searches aren't giving me the result that would be helpful .

On 12/3/07, Marcel Holtmann < [email protected] > wrote:

> > not sure what that means,
>

> Thanks for the reply, i basically want to stream audio over a network of
> Bluetooth enabled devices in a piconet. I had a look at PAN profile. On the
> kernel side i saw BNEP has multicast filter support. So i figured that
> software has multicast support, its the hardware that should support
> multicast support.
>
> but the way of multicast that you think of is
> > actually not supported by Bluetooth.
>

> Ok ..so right now its not supported. Is there any plan of supporting it ?
> Does it fall under any particular profile?. I would love to have this
> working and contribute sumthing towards open source .
>

> thanks,
> nel

Attachments:
(No filename) (881.00 B)
(No filename) (1.66 kB)
(No filename) (277.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Nel D

Seems my previous message didn't get through, sending it again.

On 12/3/07, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected] > wrote:

> not sure what that means,

Thanks for the reply, i basically want to stream audio over a network of
Bluetooth enabled devices in a piconet. I had a look at PAN profile. On the
kernel side i saw BNEP has multicast filter support. So i figured that
software has multicast support, its the hardware that should support
multicast support.

but the way of multicast that you think of is
> actually not supported by Bluetooth.

Ok ..so right now its not supported. Is there any plan of supporting it ?
Does it fall under any particular profile?. I would love to have this
working and contribute sumthing towards open source .

thanks,
nel

Attachments:
(No filename) (769.00 B)
(No filename) (1.29 kB)
(No filename) (309.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Nel D

On 12/3/07, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:

> not sure what that means,

Thanks for the reply, i basically want to stream audio over a network of
Bluetooth enabled devices in a piconet. I had a look at PAN profile. On the
kernel side i saw BNEP has multicast filter support. So i figured that
software has multicast support, its the hardware that should support
multicast support.

but the way of multicast that you think of is
> actually not supported by Bluetooth.

Ok ..so right now its not supported. Is there any plan of supporting it ?
Does it fall under any particular profile?. I would love to have this
working and contribute sumthing towards open source .

Regards

> Marcel

Thanks,
Nel

Attachments:
(No filename) (729.00 B)
(No filename) (1.41 kB)
(No filename) (309.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,

> I want to write a small app wherein am able to broadcast a message
> to a piconet. However to start of with, i found that bluetooth version
> 1.2 doesn't have mutlicast support[1].
>
> However a little of googling and i found that bluetooth version2.0
> supports multicasting :) [2]

not sure what that means, but the way of multicast that you think of is