2008-06-12 19:41:35

by neil

Subject: [Bluez-users] changing a USB blutooth dongle mac address

sorry if this has been here before, but i have been driving my self
mad on google and trying things, i am working on a bluegiga access
server box, i need to be able to make the box think my computer is one
of the phones in its oui list for testing, there for i need to change
the mac address of my usb dongle.

ive been messing around with various bits and bobs on my command line
but not sure if everything i have been doing is totally wrong.

last month i was not a hardware programmer... please help

if this kind of procedure is not one that should be in the public
domain then please direct mail me

and clues suggestions or advice greatly received

i have built bluez from source with --enable-all , not really sure
what commands i want to use or how to directly access the stick

Neil
(UK)

by neil

Quoting Nel D <[email protected]>:

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:11 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> sorry if this has been here before, but i have been driving my self
>> mad on google and trying things, i am working on a bluegiga access
>> server box, i need to be able to make the box think my computer is one
>> of the phones in its oui list for testing, there for i need to change
>> the mac address of my usb dongle.
>
> My understanding of your question is that you want a bluetooth enabled
> device look up as a phone when it is searched by other bluetooth
> enabled device. If this is what you want to perform then i guess you
> can do it by editing the file /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf to set the
> device class. "man hcid" should tell you what bits need to be set.

thanks.. seems i have been totally wasting my time.. i need to chage
the bletooth class of device, not mess with the mac address

someone else pointed me to this.. which should help.. i thoguht i'd
post it here incase someone else is having my issues ;)

http://bluetooth-pentest.narod.ru/software/bluetooth_class_of_device-service_generator.html

by Nel D

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 1:11 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:

> sorry if this has been here before, but i have been driving my self
> mad on google and trying things, i am working on a bluegiga access
> server box, i need to be able to make the box think my computer is one
> of the phones in its oui list for testing, there for i need to change
> the mac address of my usb dongle.

My understanding of your question is that you want a bluetooth enabled
device look up as a phone when it is searched by other bluetooth
enabled device. If this is what you want to perform then i guess you
can do it by editing the file /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf to set the
device class. "man hcid" should tell you what bits need to be set.

Hope that helps

cheers,
Nel