2007-08-10 12:45:54

by Timothy Murphy

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] bluetooth-applet and gnome-vfs-obexftp

Marcel Holtmann wrote:

>> Version 0.10 of bluez-gnome added support for "browsing devices" - a
>> much needed feature by any account. What I'm not thrilled about is
>> that it was written to support gnome-vfs-obexftp.
>>
>> Don't get me wrong - gnome-vfs-obexftp is awesome, but
>> bluetooth-applet is the wrong entry point for it. The applet should
>> allow you to see what devices are around you and allow you to initiate
>> a bonding with them but the assumption that you want to browse OBEX is
>> bad.
>
> it is exactly the right entry point. You might wanna compare how MacOS X
> handles it. The actual bonding will be done automatically. You are the
> client and so we can rely on the actual FTP server to ask for a bonding
> and not wasting time to try to pair a public FTP repository that has no
> key anyway.

What I find odd is that it suggests bluez is somehow connected to gnome.
As a KDE user I find it strange that I have to use a gnome application.
This doesn't offend me, but I assumed - wrongly as it happened -
that installing bluez-gnome would require
a whole slew of gnome applications.

As far as I can see, one has to have bluez-gnome just to establish pairing.
Is that right?
I don't understand why you can't just put the code in a file.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Timothy,

> >> Version 0.10 of bluez-gnome added support for "browsing devices" - a
> >> much needed feature by any account. What I'm not thrilled about is
> >> that it was written to support gnome-vfs-obexftp.
> >>
> >> Don't get me wrong - gnome-vfs-obexftp is awesome, but
> >> bluetooth-applet is the wrong entry point for it. The applet should
> >> allow you to see what devices are around you and allow you to initiate
> >> a bonding with them but the assumption that you want to browse OBEX is
> >> bad.
> >
> > it is exactly the right entry point. You might wanna compare how MacOS X
> > handles it. The actual bonding will be done automatically. You are the
> > client and so we can rely on the actual FTP server to ask for a bonding
> > and not wasting time to try to pair a public FTP repository that has no
> > key anyway.
>
> What I find odd is that it suggests bluez is somehow connected to gnome.
> As a KDE user I find it strange that I have to use a gnome application.
> This doesn't offend me, but I assumed - wrongly as it happened -
> that installing bluez-gnome would require
> a whole slew of gnome applications.

actually the name is a little bit misleading when it comes to the
dependencies since bluez-gnome only depends on GTK and D-Bus. However
the intention is to provide UI applications for the GNOME desktop. It
doesn't link against the GNOME libraries, because I am not mad ;)

> As far as I can see, one has to have bluez-gnome just to establish pairing.
> Is that right?

That is wrong. Every desktop framework can have its own UI. The
bluez-gnome provides stuff for GNOME and kdebluetooth provides this for
KDE. They all communicate over D-Bus.

> I don't understand why you can't just put the code in a file.

Because pairing is global and the security implications of a file based
approach are too complicated.

Regards

Marcel