2004-06-10 18:17:27

by David Wuertele

Subject: [Bluez-users] Re: Thinkpad X31 @ fedora core 2, trying to connect to Nokia 6380i

Nicholas> Seems that your PIN exchange doesn't work. What is your
Nicholas> "security" setting in hcid.conf?

security auto;

Nicholas> Does appear a pin windows on the mobile display?

No, there was no change on my 6310i display.
But on my laptop display I got a dialog asking for the PIN.
Where do I get this mysterious PIN?
I tried making one up. Then it worked!

Is this PIN stored somewhere? I see a file

/etc/bluetooth/pin

but it doesn't contain the PIN that I typed into the laptop dialog and
the phone dialog.

Dave

by Nicholas A. Preyss

On 0, David Wuertele <[email protected]> wrote:
> Nicholas> Does appear a pin windows on the mobile display?
>
> No, there was no change on my 6310i display.
> But on my laptop display I got a dialog asking for the PIN.
> Where do I get this mysterious PIN?
> I tried making one up. Then it worked!
>
> Is this PIN stored somewhere? I see a file
>
> /etc/bluetooth/pin
>
> but it doesn't contain the PIN that I typed into the laptop dialog and
> the phone dialog.

No, the PIN is only needed for Pairing bluetooth devices. The
/etc/bluetooth/pin specifies a lasting key you take for every
connection. It is taken instead of the key you insert in the dialog-box
for incoming connections.
The PIN you insert is stored nowhere, but the devices generate a link-key
from the pin and other data, this stored in the /etc/bluetooth/link_key.

nicholas