2004-05-18 19:29:17

by David Wuertele

Subject: [Bluez-users] Shopping for new ultralight notebook with built-in bluetooth and good Linux support

I looked in the hardware list, and found lots of Sony notebooks, but I
could not find ANY of these models (eg SR31K SR9G SR9K SRX7 SRX7E
SRX7P SRK41P SRX41P SRX51P SRX51P/A) on the Sony website. Are any of
them still made?

I did not see the "Sony VAIO USB Bluetooth Adapter PCGA-BA1/A"
mentioned on the hardware compatibility list. Anyone using it?

Can anyone recommend a notebook on the bluez hardware compatibility
list that is ultralight, well supported, and still being manufactured?

Thanks,
Dave

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi David,

> I looked in the hardware list, and found lots of Sony notebooks, but I
> could not find ANY of these models (eg SR31K SR9G SR9K SRX7 SRX7E
> SRX7P SRK41P SRX41P SRX51P SRX51P/A) on the Sony website. Are any of
> them still made?

I don't think so, because these days the notebook manufacturers change
their models a way too often ;)

> I did not see the "Sony VAIO USB Bluetooth Adapter PCGA-BA1/A"
> mentioned on the hardware compatibility list. Anyone using it?

It is CSR based as I know and it should also work fine, but nobody sent
me the output of "hciconfig -a" and so it is not on the list.

> Can anyone recommend a notebook on the bluez hardware compatibility
> list that is ultralight, well supported, and still being manufactured?

Acutally every Bluetooth enabled notebook should be supported, because
the Bluetooth chip is connected via USB in every case I have seen so
far. The only problem is maybe to activate these devices, because the
manufacturers like to have software switches to attach/detach their
Bluetooth hardware from the USB bus.

Regards

Marcel